Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum

Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/index.php)
-   Allied and Soviet Air Forces (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Flight Sergeant Leslie Pidd Battle of Britain pilot (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/showthread.php?t=18663)

nicmorton 26th October 2009 23:27

Flight Sergeant Leslie Pidd Battle of Britain pilot

"George Pidd’s son, Leslie, who was born in Patrington, Yorkshire in 1918, served as a Sergeant Pilot in Hurricanes of No. 238 Squadron in the Battle of Britain, and was killed in action on 15 September 1940, following a combat over Kenley - he managed to bale out but was found dead on landing, a fellow pilot of 238 later reporting that he had been strafed by an enemy fighter pilot while descending on his parachute."

Can anyone shed any light on the service history and life of my Great Uncle's time in the RAFVR leading up to and during the Battle of Britain? I understand that he was shot down by a Messerschmitt Bf 110 at 3pm during the second major attack of the 15th September.

Peter Clare 27th October 2009 00:43

Re: Flight Sergeant Leslie Pidd Battle of Britain pilot

Hi, and welcome to the forum.

The following is taken from 'Fighter Command Losses' - Franks

15 September 1940
238 Squadron
Hurricane I P2836
Sgt. L. Pidd +

Patrol. Baled out too low after hitting a tree during combat over Kenley.

.................................................. .

The following is taken from 'Men of the Battle Britain' - Wynn.

Leslie Pidd.

742636. Sgt. Pilot. British. 238 Squadron.

Pidd, of Dunswell, Yorkshire, was born in 1918. A pre-war member of the RAFVR, he was called to full-time service at the outbreak of war.
He joined 238 Squadron at Middle Wallop on July 18 1940. Pidd claimed a Bf 109 destroyed on August 11, returning to base with his starboard wing and glycol system damaged following the combat two miles east of Weymouth, slightly injured.
On September 15 Pidd was shot down and killed in combat with He 11Is and Bf 110s over Kenley. His Hurricane, P 2836, crashed into an oak tree at Kent College, Pembrey.
Pidd is buried in St Peter's churchyard, Woodmansey, Yorkshire.

Regards
Peter

Tapper 27th October 2009 12:58

Hi Nic,

Welcome to the headache of researching 238 Squadron, sadly few pictures of them exist.
However I have been researching Sgt Bann of 238 who flew with your great Uncle until his death.
I have a copy of every letter Sgt Bann wrote to his family and I am sure from memory he describes the incident resulting in his death. I also have most Squadron ORB's and will gladly work through them over a short time to get more details, operations and Hurricanes flown by him. I have also just been sent a 238 Squadron picture and possibly it was taken before he was killed, if yes he will be on it.

Should be able to help a fair ammount.

Please contact me off the board by sending me a message and I will give you my phone number so we can talk and get addresses etc.

I am also considering writing a book on 238 Squadron between July and the end of October....all help most welcome!!

Regards
Jon Eeles

nicmorton 30th October 2009 00:48

Thank you so much Peter and Jon - so much information returned and so quickly. I am very grateful.

Leslie was the youngest of 5 children; George, Stanley, Enid and Hilda (my Grandmother). Leslie won a scholarship to Beverley Grammar School, which I guess gave him the opportunity to join the RAFVR in the lead up to the war. As a family we are still so proud of what he did and the sacrifice of "the Few".

Stanley also served in the RAF, ground crew, and was I think stationed near Leslie because I recall a story recounting how Leslie flew in to the air base that Stanley was stationed at not too many days before the 15th September; obiously that was the last time the two brothers saw each other.

Leslie was due to marry his fiance, Marjorie, on his next leave and there is available a photograph of the two of them with Leslie in his RAF uniform. Somewhere in the family a picture of one of Leslie's Hurricanes exists "VK" "C" from memory.

Jon - I'm not sure how to send a private message but my e-mail address is nicmorton@fsmail.net and I look forward to hearing from you when you have a spare minute.