Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum

Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/index.php)
-   Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   German use of Barrage Balloons (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/showthread.php?t=1309)

Larry 10th May 2005 00:39

German use of Barrage Balloons

In Britain the use of barrage balloons during WW2 is fairly well recorded, in the defence of London and other industrial cities during the 'Blitz' and against the V1 in 1944. And yet in all the accounts I have read of Bomber Command, I can't think of a single one that mentions German barrage balloon defences! We have all seen pictures of balloons over London during the war but I can't say I've ever seen photos of German balloons over Berlin or the cities of the Ruhr.

Did the Germans come to the same conclusion, but earlier, that they caused more casualties for their own fighters, as did the British after the war? And was there a Luftwaffe equivalent of Balloon Command?

Kari Lumppio 10th May 2005 01:03

Re: German use of Barrage Balloons

Hello!

Don't know about German cities, but barrage balloons were used for the protection of the shale oil factory at Kiviõli (Kivioli/Kiviöli), Estonia. Mentioned in a report by the Finnish liaison officer in Lfl 1, 1944. Plus confirmed by an Estonian (in a dicussion forum recently!) who served as flakhelper there - every balloon seems to be taken care of one AAA battery or so.

I am pretty sure there was more German(held) objects protected by the balloon barracks.

Cheers,
Kari

Larry 22nd September 2007 23:50

Sorry to return to an old post - but is there any expert on Luftwaffe Flak & other Anti Aircraft defences, who could say whether Barage Balloons were used to defend cities & ports in Germany?

Did the Germans also use them in other Occupied countries such as the ports in France?

brewerjerry 23rd September 2007 02:08

Hi
from memory,
cornwall police war diaries recorded a german barrage ballon landing in a field, so presumably they were used in france.
cheers
Jerry

Delmenhorst 23rd September 2007 07:15

The Germans used barrage balloons. Important targets were defended by balloons and even German convoys were protected by balloons. The balloons were managed by Sperrabteilungen.

Peter Spoden 23rd September 2007 07:30

Kiel was a famous harbour town in North Germany, protected by barrage balloons.
In my book I wrote on page 111 after an attack on B 17:

"I reached the coast on one engine at an altitude of only a few hundred meters over Kiel, and to my alarm I suddenly found myself among barrage balloons and their cables. Once again God came to my help. I had just enough fuel to reach my base, Parchim in Mecklenburg, and make a belly landing."

regards Peter Spoden

The_Catman 23rd September 2007 20:12

Hi

They are mentioned a few times by Guy Gibson in "Enemy Coast Ahead", particularily in relation to Kiel (as stated above), and the Battle of the Barges covering the Northern French ports

Regards
Alex

Amrit1 23rd September 2007 22:33

An article you may find useful:

http://www.lonesentry.com/manuals/german_aa/index.html

Bruce Dennis 23rd September 2007 22:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delmenhorst (Post 51021)
... and even German convoys were protected by balloons. The balloons were managed by Sperrabteilungen.

They were carried by some Sperrbrechers, a type of heavily armed mineclearance vessel. I have documents referring to Sp 11 having a balloon in mid-1942, probably in the Northern France area.

Hope this helps,

Bruce Dennis

sveahk 23rd September 2007 23:17

Found this in "Flugsport" Nr.7/1939

Regards
Hans