Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum

Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/index.php)
-   Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Luftwaffe ausweis documents held in canada (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/showthread.php?t=14006)

Andy Saunders 3rd August 2008 15:35

Luftwaffe ausweis documents held in canada

I have a note that in 1963 a researcher called Geoff Rowe inspected a number of 1940/41 period Ausweis documents held in Canada by: "Directorate of Air Force History, Ottawa, Canada".

My enquiries in Canada have thus far drawn a blank as to where they are now. Can anyone offer a clue?

Chris Goss 3rd August 2008 16:42

Re: Luftwaffe ausweis documents held in canada

Andy: Dave Wadman tried to find out about this on my behalf and drew a blank-no help despite hastening

Andy Saunders 3rd August 2008 17:19

Thanks, Chris. They are out there somewhere!

John Beaman 3rd August 2008 21:34

Well.... recall Raiders of the Lost Ark. Does Canada have a similar place? ;)

Nick Beale 3rd August 2008 22:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Beaman (Post 70473)
Well.... recall Raiders of the Lost Ark. Does Canada have a similar place? ;)

In Dave Wadman's basement, I shouldn't wonder!

George Hopp 4th August 2008 02:37

Canada began sending German documents back to Germany in the 1970s so perhaps that is where they are now.

Andy Saunders 4th August 2008 08:33

An interesting possibility, George! So, are there any clues as to where exactly in Germany they may, perhaps, be filed away? Presumably at the Bundesarchiv?

David Ransome 4th August 2008 19:28

Hi,

I go with George on this one! I actually saw correspondence relating to a variety of Canadian held documents that had been returned to Germany between 1976 and 1992 when I was doing some work for the UK government in 1999.

Regards

David

Bruce Dennis 4th August 2008 19:39

But weren't they microfilmed earlier?

Bruce

Andy Saunders 4th August 2008 20:31

If its of any interest I will attempt to copy the document listing the i/d cards held in Canada during the 1960's....although I suppose that may be a little futile if we don't know where they are! Even so, if they are in Germany, I wonder whether the German authorities will ever allow them to be viewed under Federal German Law? Beats me why captured material was ever returned - or, at least, why it was not copied first. Hopefully that comment, which does not have any anti-Germanic or political undertones, (far from it!) will not start World War 3! I'm just miffed that, if returned to Germany, nobody now knows where the hell they are - or even if they may have been destroyed, perhaps? Rant over......!