Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum

Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/index.php)
-   Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Help with a code from LNS (See) 6 (?) (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/showthread.php?t=58787)

cbe2009 25th November 2020 15:00

Help with a code from LNS (See) 6 (?)

1 Attachment(s)
Hello,
Once again I have met the wall in a Flugbuch and hope someone can help me in the right direction.
The matter concerns Flight No. 17 in Gfr. Marquardts Flugbuch. Pls. see the attached scan. He later went to 10./LG 1 and flew in the Africa and Med.

I cannot find out, what the code is after having looked in different places.
Is it IV + BY or maybe D-IVBY on the He 42?
The other codes are XX + XX.
The stamp after these flights are LNS (See) Fliegerh.Kmdt. Dievenow.
Sorry the long text.
Thanks in advance,

Christian

Revi16 25th November 2020 15:41

Re: Help with a code from LNS (See) 6 (?)

I would think that D-IVBY (IRBY) may be a good guess. https://germanwarmachine.com/images/...einkelhe42.jpg

He 42's were built up thru about 1934/5, is there a time line as to when Germany would have registered an aircraft D-IVBY vs IV+BY?

Are there any other entries in the logbook that used a "D"?

cbe2009 25th November 2020 17:22

Thank you for your time Revi 16, much appreciated.

No D- and the Logbook begins at February 1941.

Kind regards,

Christian

Seaplanes 25th November 2020 20:08

By February 1941 all aircraft in service would have received a four-letter Stammkennzeichen (or permanent identification). The system was introduced in late October 1939. Aircraft from the factory production lines received new codes immediately, aircraft already in Luftwaffe service would take a little longer. Aircraft being under repair at second-line repair works, would take the longest. The Kennzeichen IB VY in your log book could be a Stammkennzeichen, normally written IB+VY. However, I have information that He 42E W.Nr. 1324 carried the pre October 1939 call-sign D-IDHY.

The Luftnachrichten Schule (See) 6 arrived in Dievenow in April 1940 and remained there until September 1944. Known He 42 aircraft of this unit are
DG+FH, BB+JJ and BB+JO.

The He 42 was built by Ernst Heinkel Flugzeugwerke in Rostock-Marienehe
with the prototype delivered in January 1931. A total of 241 He 42's were produced including prototypes, the last left the production line in June 1937.
After a series of 5 He 42C and 14 He 42D, the remaineder was delivered as the He 42E. As late as 30. September 1944, a total of seven He 42 still remained in the Luftwaffe inventory.

Tony Jones 26th November 2020 10:06

Hi
D-IVBY He 42 was with FFS See Stettin from 8-9/38, confirmed in flugbuch

Tony

Stig Jarlevik 26th November 2020 19:01

Interesting details Björn (and Tony)

First of all the He 42 production is confusing
It seems all sources agree with regard to the Early ones built, ie up to He 42 D.

But the He 42 E creates a problem.
Volker Koos states 189 were built
Björn above says 217 (241 minus 24, those built before the E model)

When counting all the known WNr I only get 175:confused:

With regard to the D-IVBY vs IV+BY I must say I doubt Luftwaffe did it that way. One possibillity would be if there was a remaining He 42 still using a WL code, ie WL-IVBY or WL+IVBY that late.
I know that the WL prefix was around much later than normally assumed.

Cheers
Stig

cbe2009 27th November 2020 16:08

Thank you very much for your inputs and time. It is amazing what knowledge can be found here!!
Have a nice weekend,

Christian