Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum

Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/index.php)
-   Pre-WW2 Military and Naval Aviation (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Hawker Fury loss August 1933 (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/showthread.php?t=2288)

alex crawford 23rd August 2005 22:13

Hawker Fury loss August 1933

Hi,

I have two references to 6 Hawker Furys of 25 Squadron as being lost in a hanger fire on 7th August 1933.

On looking through my 'K' File and RAF serials K1000-K9999 I find no reference to these six losses.

Does anyone have any details of the aircraft involved? I am trying to trace the serials of the six Furys involved.

Thanks,

Alex

paulmcmillan 25th August 2005 15:12

Re: Hawker Fury loss August 1933

Alex

Are you aware that the Hanger Fire was caused by a Hawker Horsley of 504 Sqn (FL Hartridge, Aircraftman Connett) crashing into the hanger when attempting to land at Folkstone and being caught in gust of wind?

alex crawford 25th August 2005 17:21

Hi Paul,

Yes, I found some details on the Times website. Apparently there were 9 Horsleys doing formation flying. Three came into land and were caught by a gust of wind over the hangers. Two just missed the hanger but the third hit it with its starboard wing.

Still trying to determine the serial numbers of the Furys.

Alex

Alex Smart 27th August 2005 05:27

Hello Alex,

It was J8025 what done it.:)

night

Alex

Stig Jarlevik 6th September 2005 21:50

Hi All

Perhaps it is not surprising you cannot find any Fury's destroyed since Air Britain's RAF Aircraft J1 to J9999 states the 6 destroyed aeroplanes were Hawker Harts..... :-)
Accident was at Hawkinge (not Folkstone)

All the Best
Stig Jarlevik
Gothenburg, Sweden

paulmcmillan 7th September 2005 11:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stig Jarlevik
Accident was at Hawkinge (not Folkstone)

Contemporary newpaper report of the time (8th August 1933) says 'Hawkinge Aerodrome (near Folkstone)'

alex crawford 7th September 2005 11:35

Hi,

I have looked through my RAF aircraft J1-J9999 and WWI Surviviors and can't find the reference about the 6 Harts. There were 15 Harts with 'J' serials, but none of these appear to have been lost on this date. In the 'unidentified crashes' section there is no mention of any Harts being lost in a hanger fire either. Can you supply a page number.

An article appeared in the Times on the 8 August 1933 which gave a detailed description of the accident. Although it doesn't mention the type of aircraft destroyed in the hanger is mentions 25 squadron a couple of times.

What other squadrons were based at Hawkinge during this period?

Alex

Stig Jarlevik 7th September 2005 19:34

Hi Alex

My files are NOT ordered after UK bases, so I don't have such info readily available

I have not checked the K-files b ut there are a lot of Harts in the K series as well. Maybe you will find these 6 elusive one's there

Cheers

Stig Jarlevik

Gothenburg Sweden

Graham Boak 9th September 2005 00:38

There are a number of Harts in the J and K registers recorded as having been struck off charge in November and December 1933, which would make them possibilities. They are recorded as having been 57, 33 and 18 Sqs, which makes them perhaps unlikely to have been together at Hawkinge.

However, Action Stations 9 records the incident, stating that 6 stored Blackburn Darts were destroyed. The Dart was to finally leave service the following year. Sturtivant's mid-war serial opus does not unfortunately record the endings of most of the Darts, unless on active service. Hart for Dart would seem to be an understandable error.

paulmcmillan 9th September 2005 10:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by alex crawford
Hi,

I have looked through my RAF aircraft J1-J9999 and WWI Surviviors and can't find the reference about the 6 Harts.

Look up the entry for J8025 !!!!!!