Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum

Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/index.php)
-   Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   What became of Fw Herbert Koch, NJG 3? (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/showthread.php?t=2694)

Jørgen E. Larsen 3rd October 2005 16:13

What became of Fw Herbert Koch, NJG 3?

I am trying to establish the facts behind the shoot down of Lancaster I ED312 (OL-F) from 83 sqn. on the night between 20/21 April 1943. It was enroute to Stettin when attacked by, what was reported by the crew to be, a Ju88. Flying a damaged and burning aircraft the pilot, P/O C.P. McDonald succeeded in ditching just of the coast near Klagshamn south of Malmö in Sweden.
From "Nachtjagd Claims Database" it can be seen that Fw Herbert Koch, NJG 3, on this date claimed a Halifax (must be quite easy to mix up with a Lancaster when seen from 6 o’clock at night) shot down at Klagshamn.
As no other aircraft crashed anywhere near that location on the night in question there is a very high probability that Koch is responsible for destroying ED312.
Does anybody know from where Fw Herbert Koch took off (I think Fliegerhorst Grove - now KarupAB, Jutland, Denmark)? Did he survive the war, and if so what became of him later on? Any info. will be very welcome.

Jørgen

cbe2009 3rd October 2005 17:30

Re: What became of Fw Herbert Koch, NJG 3?

Hallo Jørgen!
There is an very good book called "German aircraft in Denmark", vol. II is about nightfighters.
In there You can find a lot about this pilot - also, that he survived the war and in the fifties rejoined Luftwaffe and flew transports.
The book is written by Carsten Petersen and is published by Bollerup Boghandels Forlag 1993.
Maybe You can borrow it from The Airforce Library.
Hope this helps a little
Christian

Delmenhorst 3rd October 2005 21:31

Hi Jørgen
Lets talk on the phone ...........
I have some information on Koch and I will also be able to supply you with a photo or two. Herbert died a few years back. He lived in Waldbröl and had a good life after he retired from the Luftwaffe. He flew transports in the new Luftwaffe. My wife calls him a real gentleman and he was very pleasent to be together with.
Koch came to Karup in september 1942 and flew with 11./NJG 3. He left Karup again in January 1944, but returned in November as Staffelkapitän 1./NJG 3. He ended the war in Grove as a rather succesful night figher pilot. He had a bit of hard time right after the war but his crew helped in through the 'bad years' where nobody had any use for a former night fighter pilot. Koch returned to the Luftwaffe in the fifties and flew in every Lufttransportgeschwader in the new Luftwaffe.

Jørgen E. Larsen 4th October 2005 10:14

Hi Christian and Delmenhorst,

Thank you very much for the info.

Cheers,
Jørgen

Anders 4th October 2005 18:33

I think Oblt Koch also made the last claim of the german night fighter force. In the early hours of 25th of april 1945 he shot down Halifax
JP 299 from 58 sqd...

Erich 5th October 2005 20:01

not to get off topic but since Hptm Koch's last kill was mentioned can anyone confirm Oblt. Brandt's kill on May 2/3, 1945 North of Hamburg over a Halifax ? Brandt flew in IV./NJG 3 from the breif data I have....

thanks Erich ~

Edward L. Hsiao 6th June 2014 04:03

Gentlemen,

Herbert Koch had a total of 23 air kills to his credit by the end of WWII. All at night. Koch must have really loved flying transports planes of the Bundesluftwaffe post-WWII. Maybe way over a thousand flights without a accident. What was his final high rank in the Bundesluftwaffe before he retired?

Sincerely,

Edward L. Hsiao

ju55dk 6th June 2014 11:58

Oberstleutnant der Bundesluftwaffe.

Junker

DDT 4th May 2020 18:09

Hi,
Just to reactivate this post about Herbert Koch.
Looking for the christian names of his BF and BM:
Fw Gärtner and Fw. Edelmann.
Thx in advance and kind regards.
Dirk