Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum

Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/index.php)
-   Allied and Soviet Air Forces (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Records for an RAF Station without flying units (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/showthread.php?t=30026)

Larry 14th June 2012 11:09

Records for an RAF Station without flying units

Guys,

I wonder if you can point me in the right directions in searching for available archives.

If an RAF Station such as RAF Christchurch remained an RAF Station with an RAF Station Commander but was used by the FAA and later by the 405th FBG in 1944, would there still be an F540 / ORB (or similar) and under what reference would it most likely be?

Air 29 covers miscellaneous units but if there were no RAF units on site (except for occasional target towing or Army Co-op visitors) would the RAF Station still have recorded events in a Station ORB.

I have the ORB for the station up to Nov 1941 and other records when it was a Satellite to RAF Hurn but cannot find anything after spring 1942 when the TFU moved to RAF Defford and RAF Christchurch was no longer used by the RAF as a permanent home for any of its flying units.

Hopefully this might help others as I'm sure that this station was not the only RAF Station left vacant by the RAF during WW2

rafcommands 14th June 2012 11:21

Re: Records for an RAF Station without flying units

Did not need flying units for ORB pages to be created just an official RAF attendance.

Quite a few USAAF stations also had RAF Station ORBs running during early/late occupation.

eg
RAF Station Thorpe Abbotts. April 1943 - June 1943. AIR28/803
RAF Station Tibenham. July 1943 - March 1946. AIR28/803

(The scribe continued to record the serials and full crews of the USAAF operational aircraft just as they had done on RAF stations)

Also some pre war
RAF Station Southampton Airport, Aug 1935- July 1939

AIR28/143 for RAF Station Christchurch is listed as covering dates 1942 Sept.-1945 Oct.

Regards
Ross

Atcham Tower 14th June 2012 12:36

Further to Ross's comments, I looked at the Christchurch ORB mainly for info on the USAAF operations. As I recall, it doesn't have much detail on the 405th FBG/FG but quite a lot of accidents are recorded. Some of them were over-runs of the small airfield, including a B-17 and a Typhoon.

Larry 15th June 2012 01:04

Guys thanks for your help.

Now I have the NA reference things should be easier.

But why Air 29 for the first half of WW2 and Air 28 for the remainder is interesting.

Lastly Atcham Tower, if you have any details of those crashed could you send me a PM

Thanks

Buffnut453 15th June 2012 04:18

AIR 27 is for Squadrons, AIR 28 is for Stations and AIR 29 is for "miscellaneous units". All 3 cover the period from the 1910s through to 1980.