Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum

Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/index.php)
-   Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Identification Plate Normandy 1944 (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/showthread.php?t=9211)

Eric Larger 25th June 2007 15:25

Identification Plate Normandy 1944

Dear All

Please find enclose the identification plate of a FW 190A crashed in Normandy .

Does anyone have any idea of the real W.nr ?

I am alos looking for the identification of the factories identified by both markers on the plate .

It could be a repaired or partially rebuild aircraft .

Many thanks

Eric

David Ransome 25th June 2007 17:34

Re: Identification Plate Normandy 1944

Hi,

The plate is the same shape as some I've had off He111s and was used in field or local repairs. If it follows the same format 022749 would be the WNr, 259/11 the individual repair person (or post nr) and 5.44 the repair date ie May 1944. I'm sure that I've seen MAW somewhere referring to Messerschmitt Augsburg Werke but admit that I could be imagining it!

Regards

David

Eric Larger 25th June 2007 18:23

Many thnaks

But it could be the fact that it was repaired at a messerschmitt repair facility , some FW 190D-9 , were picked up at the the end of the war to such facility .

Eric

Dennis Peschier 25th June 2007 22:12

Erik, David,

Karl Pawlas lists
hdt as Märkischer Metallbau, Oranienburg, Bernaustr. 34 b
maw as G. Basser K.-G., Flugzeugreparaturwerkstätten, Zwickau/Sachsen.
Can’t make sense of the other numbers.

Dennis

Eric Larger 25th June 2007 22:18

Hello Dennis

MAny thanks for the markers , that makes sense now .

Do you have the whole list of markers , I have a partial one build from reseraches to researches , but not the complete one .

Eric

Dennis Peschier 25th June 2007 22:28

Hello Eric,

You really should buy “Liste der fertigungskennzeichen für Waffen, Munition und Gerät”by Karl Pawlas. He spent 20 years compiling these codes. Those that he did not find will probably remain a mystery forever.
If you need some more decoded just send me a pm.

Dennis

Eric Larger 25th June 2007 22:50

Many thanks Dennis , I will look for this document .

Eric

stephen f. polyak 26th June 2007 04:29

Hi Eric & Dave,

What a nice example! To my experience, the distinctive six-sided ID plate was always linked to Focke-Wulf. This style was fitted to Focke Wulf designs (built by Fw or others by license) and to non-Fw designs built by Focke Wulf. I have seen others from Fw 190A (Fw built), Fw 189 (license built), Fw 58 (repair/replacement) and Bf 109E (license built) machines. The plate shown here is also interesting in that it appears to be made of steel rather than (typical) aluminum. If anyone in the TOCH community has evidence (relic or photo) of a six-sided plate marked to an aircraft not connected to Fw as noted, I would enjoy learning of that.

Best regards,
Steve

David Ransome 26th June 2007 20:52

Hi Steve,

Looking again at the plate it appears to be a stamped out item whereas the ones that i have previously owned (from two He111s repaired in France) were obviously hand cut and riveted on. From memory the plates were c. 2.5" across. I'll see if I can get in touch with one of the chaps that I passed them to for a photo / more details. Unfortunately I disposed of a lot of bits and pieces before I knew of your interests!

BTW - the plate in the pic does look to be alloy from the corrosion pitting, the ones that I had definitely were.

Kind regards,

Dave