Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum

Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/index.php)
-   Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Me 109 and cannon trough prop-shaft (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/showthread.php?t=9312)

Sandman 3rd July 2007 10:59

Me 109 and cannon trough prop-shaft

I need to end a argument with a friend of mine.. :-)

Did the Me 109 have a cannon that shot trough the propshaft.

I recall to have read that there was a plan for this, but it was never used..

Could any of you please shed som light on this issue..?

Best regards..

Sandman

yogybär 3rd July 2007 11:13

Re: Me 109 and cannon trough prop-shaft

Nearly all had one. At least all F, G and K-models. You can find this information and more details in 99.9% of the sources on that plane.

Pilot 3rd July 2007 14:28

As well some E models :)

Graham Boak 3rd July 2007 14:38

I believe it was the 109C that was first intended to have the cannon, but it was not fitted in service. It was widely assumed at the time, by the British (and possibly the French?) that the 109E had an engine-mounted cannon but this was not true - the central intake was used for engine cooling.

I suspect it is this confusion over its use on the E that has misled your friend - there is no doubt at all about its appearance in later versions.

Pilot 3rd July 2007 15:20

"Model Ar" No.375. page 44 bring drawing of the E-2 model with FF cannon. There is also testimony of one former Yugoslav Kingdom pilot who state that he shoot with three cannon in April war but I am very doubtful in his memory's in several reasons.

I am not informed much in this type of airplane and I sure that others will give more accurate reply.

John Beaman 3rd July 2007 22:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pilot (Post 45966)
"Model Ar" No.375. page 44 bring drawing of the E-2 model with FF cannon. There is also testimony of one former Yugoslav Kingdom pilot who state that he shoot with three cannon in April war but I am very doubtful in his memory's in several reasons.

I am not informed much in this type of airplane and I sure that others will give more accurate reply.

Pilot, as stated, the plan was for the E-2 to have the cannon firing through the shaft, but development problems precluded this. It was not perfected until the introduction of the F-1 and F-2. As stated, all F, G and K machines had nose-mounted cannons. No E ever flew, operationally, with a nose mounted cannon.

Sandman 6th July 2007 10:32

Thanks for setteing the record straight...

Fantastic forum, this is.. :-)

Bets regards

Sandman

fran 11th July 2007 16:33

Here you are a diagram.
What model is it?? Puzzled??

Regards
Fran

George Hopp 11th July 2007 18:21

I believe that the above cannon is Soviet and mounted in a Soviet fighter. Definitely not a 109 since the engine is upright.

Ruy Horta 11th July 2007 18:49

Maybe it is a Spanish concept, with Hispano-Suisse engine and cannon?