Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum

Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/index.php)
-   Allied and Soviet Air Forces (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   IVAN KOZHEDUB (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/showthread.php?t=88)

Wuergerfan 1st January 2005 06:53

IVAN KOZHEDUB

Was Ivan K ever shot down in any course of his sorties? From what I have seen he never was, but who knows for sure? If he was shot down, what where the circumstances? Thanks

Benoit Douville 3rd January 2005 02:47

I have never heard or read that this great Soviet Ace was shot down. During his 326 combat missions Kozhedub took part in 126 aerial combats, and achieved 62 kills! Quite an interesting figure to study.

Regards

Nikita Egorov 3rd January 2005 13:41

Kozhedub

Soviet TsAMO documents indicate that Kozhedub was never shot down due to enemy action (fighters or Flak). During his wartime career he conducted several belly landings, but this was purely because of pilot mistakes and technical failure...

Regards.

Gizmo 23rd January 2005 23:32

This is my first post here. So first I want to say Hi to all of you.

When Kozhedub was an inexperienced pilot in the first half of 1943, as he was fighting in one of his first air battles, his La-5 fighter was attacked from behind by Bf-110G from I/ZG 1. Obviously he wasn't attentive enough at that time, so his aircraft was severely damaged and after he landed it proved to be a writte-off. Unfortunately the date of this incident is unknown.
My source is a Polish book "Stalinowskie Sokoly" (Stalin's Falcons) by Robert Michulec.

Nikita Egorov 24th January 2005 07:33

No, this is a wrong description. It happened in March 1943, Kozhedub landed his plane due to fuel shortage and mechnical problems...Documents give no indication that he was hit by enemy fire.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gizmo

When Kozhedub was an inexperienced pilot in the first half of 1943, as he was fighting in one of his first air battles, his La-5 fighter was attacked from behind by Bf-110G from I/ZG 1. Obviously he wasn't attentive enough at that time, so his aircraft was severely damaged and after he landed it proved to be a writte-off. Unfortunately the date of this incident is unknown.

Jan Bobek 24th January 2005 14:15

Attack of Bf 110 from behind

I remember this part of Kozedubīs memoir, although I do not recall that Bf 110 damaged his La-5. Anyway, bad surprize for young pilot. If I remember well this attack took place during Kozedubīs landing approach. isnīt it? :?:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gizmo

My source is a Polish book "Stalinowskie Sokoly" (Stalin's Falcons) by Robert Michulec.

Nikita Egorov 24th January 2005 15:25

Re: Attack of Bf 110 from behind

This was described in his memoirs. But, actually documents of 14 GIAD show complete mess during the attack on airfield and clearly stress the fact that exept several La-5s damaged on the ground, there were no shot down or damaged planes in the air. Kozhedub and other few youngsters belly landed purely to their own mistakes and technical failures.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jan Bobek
I remember this part of Kozedubīs memoir, although I do not recall that Bf 110 damaged his La-5. Anyway, bad surprize for young pilot. If I remember well this attack took place during Kozedubīs landing approach. isnīt it? :?:

Jan Bobek 24th January 2005 15:29

Thanks

Thanks for clearing this point.

Are you active as writer :?: ... in terms of articals, books etc.

Jan Bobek

Nikita Egorov 24th January 2005 15:59

Re: Thanks

Not yet:-) I just only have some future plans.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jan Bobek
Thanks for clearing this point.

Are you active as writer :?: ... in terms of articals, books etc.

Jan Bobek

Benoit Douville 27th January 2005 20:34

To continue in that great thread about Kozhedub. During the battle over the Dniepr Front, Kozhedub was really impressive, in 10 days, he downed 11 enemy planes!

Jan Bobek,

I can't wait until your website have an english version, it seems pretty interesting.

Regards