Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum

Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/index.php)
-   Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Luftwaffe Pilot/Aircrew training routes and stages (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/showthread.php?t=38251)

geahanse 29th June 2014 19:52

Luftwaffe Pilot/Aircrew training routes and stages

Can anyone please go through the steps and different routes that a typical Luftwaffe pilot and a Luftwaffe Aircrew member could take? I understand their was different routes but what confuses me is how some of them are ranked. Some pilots and even Observers were commissioned officers, and some pilots and aircrew were non-commissioned officers. How was this decided? Would they go to officer candidate school or NCO'S school after basic training in the Flieger-Ersatz-Abteilung? Was it common for an aircrew member, or even a pilot to rise through the ranks from a flieger or gefreiter to a nco/commissioned officer? Would they go to their training specialization schools after nco school or officer candidate school? I do know training, especially late in the war, varied but I can't find much details on the training of Luftwaffe members and any information would be greatly appreciated!

hucks216 30th June 2014 13:29

Re: Luftwaffe Pilot/Aircrew training routes and stages

Hopefully this will shed some light. Here are some examples from the Wehrpasse & Soldbucher of aircrew.

Infantry soldier in 1940 who transferred across and eventually flew Fw-190 aircraft in SG-3 as a Feldwebel at the tail end of the war...

hucks216 30th June 2014 13:33

Oberfeldwebel Pilot who flew in coastal units (floatplanes)

hucks216 30th June 2014 13:34

Leutnant in JG-52...

hucks216 30th June 2014 13:35

Stuka back-seater...

hucks216 30th June 2014 13:36

Bomber pilot (NCO)...

geahanse 30th June 2014 13:37

Hucks you're awesome. You're like the go-to for information regarding German forces. I appreciate you. Wehrpasses were exactly what I have been looking for as information about this but my only problem is I have a difficult time translating them. Like in your first image, you see the A , B, and C section. What do these mean?

hucks216 30th June 2014 13:38

Bomber crewman (radio/gunner)...

hucks216 30th June 2014 13:50

Officer candidate (and eventual Oberleutnant) Pilot who transferred across from reconnaissance units to a fighter wing...

hucks216 30th June 2014 13:53

Transport pilot (NCO)...