Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum

Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/index.php)
-   Japanese and Allied Air Forces in the Far East (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Carrier Air Group detail for the Battle of Midway (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/showthread.php?t=50515)

PMoz99 12th February 2018 10:24

Carrier Air Group detail for the Battle of Midway

A few years ago I bookmarked several appendices pages of a site at www.centuryinter.net, but sadly the site is now defunct.
The site's appendices detailed for each of the units, eg VB-3, VF-3, VF-6 and so on, each aircraft code for each mission and also listed the crewmembers for each aircraft for each mission. The relevant appenices on the old site were, from memory, either 4 or 7.
I have since found some info for VB-3, VS-5, VB-6 and VS-6 at various other sites, but really want VF-3, VF-5 and VF-6 in particular, and these still elude me.
The information is like this -
3-B-1 Lt-Cdr.M.F. Leslie GALLAGHER, W.E. ARM1c
3-B-2 Lt(jg) P.A. Holmberg LA PLANT G.A., AMM2c
3-B-3 Ensign P.W. Schlegel SHROPSHIRE, J.A., ARM2c
3-B-4 Ensign R.K. Campbell CRAIG, H.H., AMM1c
3-B-5 Ensign A.W. Hanson GODFREY, J.J., ARM3c
3-B-6 Ensign R.H. Benson BERGERON, F.P., ARM3c
As the battle continuedand aircraft were lost, the code order didn't look as neat as that above.
Did anyone here happen to save the info? Can anyone tell me if this info was saved on another site? If so, where?? Is it available anywhere else?
Thanks
Peter

Laurent Rizzotti 12th February 2018 11:28

Re: Carrier Air Group detail for the Battle of Midway

Have you tried the Web Archive website:
https://web.archive.org/web/*/www.centuryinter.net

Websites will usually be incomplete but you can still find what you search.

peter.r 12th February 2018 12:24

Have you also tried the book "THE FIRST TEAM" by JOHN B.LUNDSTROM it may give you the info you are looking for. peter.r

PMoz99 12th February 2018 14:14

Thanks Laurent - found most of it at the link you provided. The bits I had found already were at an archive site archive.li.
Thanks for the book reference Peter.
Cheers
Peter

R Leonard 12th February 2018 14:42

You can find transcriptions of the VB-3 report and others are here
http://www.midway1942.com/docs/usn_doc_08.shtml

James S. 12th February 2018 22:08

Carrier Air Group detail for the Battle of Midway

Another book is Pacific Payback: The Carrier Aviators Who Avenged Pearl Harbor at the Battle of Midway by Stephen L. Moore which details the dive bomber crews in the Battle of Midway. Another book of his is The Battle for Hell's Island: How a Small Band of Carrier Dive-Bombers Helped Save Guadalcanal by Stephen L. Moore which deals with dive bomber crews from December 7 through Coral Sea, then Guadalcanal.

James

PMoz99 13th February 2018 03:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by R Leonard (Post 247499)
You can find transcriptions of the VB-3 report and others are here
http://www.midway1942.com/docs/usn_doc_08.shtml

Thanks for that. I had alrerady seen this site, but it doesn't list any of the fighter groups.
Peter

R Leonard 13th February 2018 06:19

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by PMoz99 (Post 247549)
Thanks for that. I had alrerady seen this site, but it doesn't list any of the fighter groups.
Peter

Ah, VF reports are a little hard to come by. I've some VF-6 stuff digitally and Thach's VF-3 ACA.

Shoot, my father was in VF-3/42 and while I do have some original documents, including a copy the tactical organization after Lovelace's death, and I've scanned a few of them, I am mostly loath to drag them out as they are a little fragile.

I suspect that after 10 fighters went in the water including the CO, VF-8 may have been a little reluctant to produce a report. That squadron was disestablished within days of the return to Pearl Harbor.

Anyway, here's the VF-3 organization from 31 May 1942 if it is of any use.

Rich

PMoz99 13th February 2018 15:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by R Leonard (Post 247555)
Ah, VF reports are a little hard to come by. I've some VF-6 stuff digitally and Thach's VF-3 ACA.

Shoot, my father was in VF-3/42 and while I do have some original documents, including a copy the tactical organization after Lovelace's death, and I've scanned a few of them, I am mostly loath to drag them out as they are a little fragile.

I suspect that after 10 fighters went in the water including the CO, VF-8 may have been a little reluctant to produce a report. That squadron was disestablished within days of the return to Pearl Harbor.

Anyway, here's the VF-3 organization from 31 May 1942 if it is of any use.

Rich

Thanks. That doc matches the info on the website. The VF-8 data shows only 3 pilot losses - Kelly, Hill and Groves, so I assume the other a/c were either shot down or ditched and the pilots recovered. Ineterestingly, the USS Hornet report states 12 F4F-4's were lost on 4 June, with 6 pilots recovered.
Cheers
Peter

R Leonard 14th February 2018 03:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by PMoz99 (Post 247573)
Thanks. That doc matches the info on the website.

It should, it was the source. AFAIK it is the only copy in existence. My father found it stuffed in the pocket of his flight jacket after the battle . . . that's his signature on the bottom. And the final disposition of the VF-3 aircraft came from a report he drew up while aboard Hornet . . . I've the original of that around here somewhere, too.