Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum

Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/index.php)
-   Pre-WW2 Military and Naval Aviation (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Cptn. Walter H. Schulze, 138th Aero Squadron (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/showthread.php?t=13442)

Heuser 12th June 2008 00:08

Cptn. Walter H. Schulze, 138th Aero Squadron

Gentelmen,
I received a question regarding Captain Walter Herman Schulze, 138th Aero Squadron, who was killed in in an air crash on 28.06.1919 near Montabaur, Germany.

In 1925 book entitled "The Peace Messenger 1893-1919 - in Memoriam" was published under his name, maybe this helps.

Any further information about Schulze, his a/c and his burial place is welcome!

A. Heuser

Leendert 12th June 2008 13:00

Re: Cptn. Walter H. Schulze, 138th Aero Squadron

Heuser,

138th Aero Squadron was part of the 5th Pursuit Group. It was stationed at Koblenz till September 1919 as part of the occupation forces.
The squadron flew Spad VII fighters at that time.

Hope this helps a bit...

Regards,

Leendert

Leendert 12th June 2008 13:09

Heuser,

Walter Herman Schulze is listed on findagrave.com:

Born 23 Sep 1893, died 28 Jun 1919. Capt. (Cavalry) killed in the crash of his Spad XIII during (read: after) WW1. First interred in Coblenz American Cemetery and later reinterred in the Military Cemetery, West Point, NY.

Schulze is now buried at Orange County Verterans Cemetery, Goshen, Orange County, NY.

Regards,

Leendert

Heuser 12th June 2008 13:20

Leendert,

I'm impressed, thank you very much!

Best regards

Heuser

Franek Grabowski 12th June 2008 13:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leendert (Post 67732)
killed in the crash of his Spad XIII during (read: after) WW1

Actually the document is correct. There was an armistice signed, but the war continued formally.

Leendert 12th June 2008 19:52

Franek,

Sure, in a formal sense. Hostilities ceased on 11-11-1918 (in the West) and I think that most people feel that the war ended there and then.

A remarkable coincidence that Schulze died on the day that the Versailles Treaty was signed, on 28-6-1919.....

Regards,

Leendert

Franek Grabowski 12th June 2008 20:01

But the war ended with the ratification of treaty by the last country, this being USA in 1921 I believe. There are no simple things!

Michael Patterson 16th June 2008 23:38

I have been assured by the Administrator at the United States Military Academy (West Point) Cemetery that Captain Walter Herman Schulze remains buried at their cemetery, SECTION VIII, ROW F, GRAVE 279. There have been reports here, and on Find A Grave that he was disinterred and moved to the Orange County, New York, Veterans Cemetery. That cemetery has no record of the captain being buried there.

Regards to all, Michael Patterson
Webmaster, Arlington National Cemetery Website
http://www.arlingtoncemetery.net

wschulze 14th August 2008 20:03

Hello,

Cptn. Walter H. Schulze was a graduate of West Point, son of Paul Schulze and brother to Paul Schulze II. My Father and uncle were both name sakes of each and are both now deceased. Paul Schulze IV lives in PA and I (Walter H. Schulze III) live in NC. I still have the US Cavalry sabers issued to Cptn Schulze upon his assignment to the cavalry. The air core was apart of the US Army cavalry at the time of WWI. He is buried at West Point. I also have several copies of "The Peace Messenger".

-Walter

wschulze 14th August 2008 20:14

....to add further, it is my understanding he is listed as the last official casualty of the war. The designation as "Peace Messenger" is due to the circumstances surrounding his death. He was flying copies of the signed armistice to the troops so they could know the war was over. He successfully dropped the leaflets, but subsequently crashed while trying an engine restart maneuver.