Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum

Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/index.php)
-   Allied and Soviet Air Forces (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   PRO visit (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/showthread.php?t=5084)

alex crawford 7th June 2006 21:14

PRO visit

Hi,

Is anyone going to the PRO in the next few days/weeks? I am carrying out some research for a workmate. His Grandmothers brother was lost on 25 October 1943 when the trawler he was on was sunk by an E-boat, S-74. There is an aircraft link to this so bear with me. On the night of 4-5/November 1943 while on mining operations off the Humber, S-74 was attcked and damaged by Beaufighters, there's the link.

Searching the PRO I found the following file ADM 267/118. In this file there are a number of files about various ships that were sunk by mines or torpedos.

So can someone look up the file 'ADM 267/118 William Stephen' and let me know if it contains any details of the trawler and its loss? Also how many pages there is. I don't want any copies but if it has the relevant details I can pass that on to my workmate and he can order them up.

Also does anyone know which squadron the Beaufighters were from and where they were based?

Thanks,

Alex

Brian 8th June 2006 11:18

Re: PRO visit

Hi Alex

I should be able to help - possibly within the next couple of weeks, unless you get a better offer!!

Watch this space!

Cheers
Brian

Christer Bergström 8th June 2006 13:11

I'm going to the National Archive in Kew later this month, and I'll study the material there for four or five days. Would you like me to look up the file in question for you?

alex crawford 8th June 2006 20:53

Hi Brian, Christer,

Thank you both for your kind offer to help, much appreciated. If both of you could fit it in to your visit I'll let the other one know who gets there first.

Do you know if its cheaper to order ORBs on CD? I've noticed the price per A3 paper copy has went up to 45p.

Alex

Chris Goss 13th June 2006 11:40

Alex: According to CC IntSum, 254 Sqn attacked 4 E-boats in the North Sea 53.13N, 03.17E at 0732 hrs 5 Nov 43. This should make the task easier!

alex crawford 22nd June 2006 20:03

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the details. Sorry I missed the post. I'll see what details I can get from the ORB.

Alex

Hans Nauta 22nd June 2006 23:37

Hi again Alex,

Found someting back in my files:

8 Beaufighters of 254 Squadron were sent out to search for returning e-boats W of Den Helder. These e-boats had attacked convoy FN-1170 near Yarmouth.
As Chris already added 4 e-boats were attacked at 07.32 hrs at position 53.13N, 03.17E (40 miles W of Den Helder). Three were attacked with cannon and one of these, the S-74 of 92 tons, was set alight amidships.

During the attack Beaufighter LZ414 was shot down.

Regards,
Hans

Brian 23rd June 2006 11:47

Hi Alex

I ran out of time to order the ADM file but should be back at the PRO next week, and will do so then. Sorry.

Cheers
Brian

alex crawford 23rd June 2006 21:45

Hi Hans,

Thanks for the additional info, much appreciated.

Brian,

No problem.

Alex