Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum

Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/index.php)
-   Allied and Soviet Air Forces (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Identity of F-5 Lightning crashed on take off Vis Island -March/April 44 (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/showthread.php?t=21786)

kaki3152 22nd July 2010 05:54

Identity of F-5 Lightning crashed on take off Vis Island -March/April 44

In the time frame March/April 1944, a F-5 Lightning on return from Austria landed on Vis Island,Yugoslavia due to engine problems. After cursory engine repairs, the Pilot (reportedly Chinese-American) took off only to have an engine quit on takeoff. He crashed and lingered a few days before dying.
I have read an account of this accident in two books, but neither provide sufficient detail to identify the pilot or the unit. I imagine the unit to be either the 3rd or the 5th PG, but have not found anything on this accident in neither the MACR listing or the overses USAAF Accident listing, where I'd imagine an account of the accident would most probably reside.

Can anyone help?

And a belated thanks to all who have helped resolve these minor mysteries over the last couple of months.

Alex Smart 24th July 2010 18:53

Re: Identity of F-5 Lightning crashed on take off Vis Island -March/April 44

Hello,
It could not have been the 1st Fighter Group's 27th Squadron's 1Lt. Stanley Lau.
Alex

kaki3152 25th July 2010 02:43

No, the account I found specifically identified the pilot as a Chinese_American flying a recon P-38 coming back from a mission over Austria.

kaki3152 27th July 2010 04:00

Well, after some time spent on the Internet, I am no closer to finding any information.
I have identified some of the Chinese-American fighter pilots of WWII (Frank Fong -359th FG, Stanley Lau - 1st FG, Kai Wau Kong -354th FG) but no recon pilots. I'll keep looking.

Frank Olynyk 27th July 2010 04:14

kaki3152,

Can you give me a reference to the "overseas USAAF Accident listing" you mention? I am looking for overseas accidents involving the 12th, 13th, and 15th Air Forces (and maybe others later).

Frank.

kaki3152 27th July 2010 14:52

Frank,

sure, I'll send you a PM with a link. Love your work.

Carlos

Boris Ciglic 7th December 2014 10:34

Hi kaki,

I stumbled upon this posting with a little bit of delay. In case you didn't find anything in the meantime, what I have on this is that an P-38 landed at newly-prepared landing grounds at Pliško Polje at Vis on 12 April 1944, bringing in the post from Bari. It was also the first Allied aircraft ever to have landed at Vis. As the plane took-off back to Bari, it burst into flame and crashed, falling on Partisans from the 2. platoon/1. brigade/26. Dalmatian division. Pilot and nine Partisans were killed, five Partisans were wounded.

Cheers,
Boris

kaki3152 8th December 2014 04:18

Boris,
I think I identified the pilot and airplane as Lt. John Kim,27th FS,1st FG who actually suffered severe wounds and died in the hospital. The only discrepancy I have is that the date of the incident is listed as April 13,1944.

Boris Ciglic 8th December 2014 08:28

Hi kaki,

The source that I have indicates that the accident didn't have to occur on the date when the plane arrived at Vis and bringing in the "post from Bari" with an Lightning doesn't seem probable as well. I would assume that the plane indeed landed at Vis for some trouble during the 12 April mission to Austria and crashed on the following day when trying to get back to Italy.

Cheers,
Boris

researcher111 8th December 2014 10:21

Initially you correctly stated it was an F-5 presumambly of 5th PRG , I therefore believe is involving a P-38 of this group from San Severo rather than 1st FG or other of 15th AF Fighter Groups . I am looking into my records as into 5th Recon Sqd and will let u know