Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum

Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/index.php)
-   Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Lt. Gustav Tham (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/showthread.php?t=11631)

steve sheridan 18th January 2008 22:48

Lt. Gustav Tham

Hi i have a photograph of Lt Gustav Tham a pilot serving with II/ZG76 in 1940. Can anybody tell me which staffel he served with during this period.

I know Tham went onto to serve with the Nachtgeschwader units later and achieve " ace status "
Particularly interested in his service earlier with ZG76, and would like to know more about any kills, or known a/c flown, codes etc!

Best regs,
Steve.

steve sheridan 20th January 2008 20:55

Re: Lt. Gustav Tham

Evening, can nobody help put this one to bed!!

Ive tried a google search but can only find details of his Nachtjagdgeschwader career.

Steve.

Kaczmarek 28th February 2008 17:19

Hptm. Gustav Tham was the successor of Major Hans Leickhardt (+ 6.3.45) as Gruppenkommandeur of II./NJG 5 from 10.3. - 4.4.1945

Kaczmarek

Larry Hickey 28th February 2008 21:01

Steve,

I've checked my II./ZG76 victory list, which is complete from 1939 through the end of 1940. Tham did not score any victories with the unit during that period. In consulting with my data base I've found only that there is a photo of him in the cockpit of his a/c on P. 14 of "Messerschmitt Bf110 Zerstörer in Action," one of the Squadron/Signal publications.

The caption says: "After training with the Erganzungs (Zerstörer) staffel, Lt. Gustav Tham joined II/ZG27..." It goes on about II./ZG76, but doesn't give any useful info about his career with the unit. The photo shows a 1940-style camouflaged a/c with a white or yellow gun bay cover--this could have been taken during the Battle of Britain. Since this marking was also used later by II./ZG76, it isn't diagnostic other than it was taken 9.40 or later.

Don't know if this helps, but it's what I have.

Regards,

steve sheridan 28th February 2008 21:44

Kaczmarek and Larry,
many thanks for the information on Tham.

Larry the photograph sounds very much like the one i have, although mine doesnt have any caption on it, useful information on his background with the Erg. Staffel though.
Many thanks.

Steve.

156Squadron 19th April 2008 23:08

I see that two particpants in this thread have a photograph of Lt Tham.

I wonder if one of you would be prepared to send me a copy. Lt Tham shot down the aircraft of my fathers cousin on the Nuremberg raid. I an developing a web page in remembrance and would like to have a pic.

So far, see the link to Donald Irving on my website regarding 156 Squadron Pathfinder force.

www.156Squadron.com

Regards

Robin Riley

HARD_Sarge 20th April 2008 09:00

Robin
nice site, looks like a lot of work went into it

great job