Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum

Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/index.php)
-   Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Inscription on reverse of photo? Place name? (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/showthread.php?t=53973)

Ian Jewison 15th May 2019 14:31

Inscription on reverse of photo? Place name?

2 Attachment(s)
Hi all,

I have posted this in a few groups on Facebook, the reason being someone else posted the photo as he had just bought it....however that forced me to find it mine as I have had it 20 years or more and came with a Soldbuch to a fallen Beobachter.....the aircraft of course is not his.

On the reverse, I think it says:

"Ju 52 vom ruß.(ische) jäger im Brand geschossen. Bolzi"

Trying to work out if Bolzi (Bolsi?) is the place name....as I can't identify the unit the aircraft belonged to at the moment....

Thanks,
Ian

edwest2 15th May 2019 17:14

Re: Inscription on reverse of photo? Place name?

Bolzi is the place name. And that is some highly stylized handwriting.

Ian Jewison 15th May 2019 17:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by edwest2 (Post 269220)
Bolzi is the place name. And that is some highly stylized handwriting.

Thanks for confirmation....But...where is it on a map :D:confused:

Will check Larry's airfield docs.....

edwest2 15th May 2019 17:30

That will be the hard part. The location may have been a tiny farm village at the time. Place names sometimes changed and sometimes place names were Germanicized. Gdańsk in Poland was Danzig for Germans.

VtwinVince 15th May 2019 17:49

Danzig was always Danzig to the Germans, as it was 98% ethnically German pre-war. Gdansk is a postwar, post ethnic-cleansing creation.

ouidjat 15th May 2019 17:58

Maybe because it's Abol'tsy (Abolcy), 42km Northwest of Orcha in Bielorussia. (Obolzy in one loss report but doesn't concern your plane).
Not necessarily in Larry's airfield doc.
1/ Because no one said it was an airbase
2/ because there is no airfield doc for Russia in Larry's huge work!.. Which is a good reason to not find it.

Regards,
Franck.

Rasmussen 15th May 2019 18:49

Another possibility would be that the name of the place was written by ear. What about "Goltzy" in Belarus?

Regards
Rasmussen

edwest2 15th May 2019 19:02

Thank you for bringing up another good possibility.

edwest2 15th May 2019 19:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by VtwinVince (Post 269223)
Danzig was always Danzig to the Germans, as it was 98% ethnically German pre-war. Gdansk is a postwar, post ethnic-cleansing creation.

I suggest looking at maps in Polish. Parts of Gdansk had to be rebuilt post-war, but it has been there for a very long time.

Rasmussen 15th May 2019 19:55

Danzig has a very long German - Polish history ... from the Slavs in the 11th century, the German Crusaders in 13th and 14th century, as free town republic under Polish rule in 14th - 17th century, Prussian rule in 17th - 19th century (with 6 years as free town republic under Napoleonic rule), as Free town from 1920 - 1939 with 95% Germans, 3 % Polish and 2 % Kashub... and the known history since WW2.