Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum

Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/index.php)
-   Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Hungarian Fighters on April 17 1945 (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/showthread.php?t=10751)

Michal 8th November 2007 16:39

Hungarian Fighters on April 17 1945

Hello,

is true that Hungarian Fighters operated on April 17 1945 over Brno, Moravia, contemporary Czech Republic?

I have got an information that föhadnagy Kiss Elemer (101./3) should shot down one Jakovlev Jak-9 nearby Brno. Is correct this information? And if it is true how many planes he shot during WW2? And what was his fate?

Second: Does somebody know where is exact crash place of zls.Sziráki Bf 109G-14/U, W.Nr. 511211, black 16 on April 17 1945 and reason of his crash?

Thanks for help

Michal

Dénes Bernád 8th November 2007 22:42

Re: Hungarian Fighters on April 17 1945

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michal (Post 53667)
Hello,

is true that Hungarian Fighters operated on April 17 1945 over Brno, Moravia, contemporary Czech Republic?

I have got an information that föhadnagy Kiss Elemer (101./3) should shot down one Jakovlev Jak-9 nearby Brno. Is correct this information? And if it is true how many planes he shot during WW2?

Yes, AFAIK on 17 April 1945 the last air victory for Hungarian pilots was claimed by Föhadnagy (1st Lt.) Elemér Kiss, a Yak-9 over the Central Bohemian town of Milowitz (today Milovice). It was his sixth individual air victory.

Hungarian Bf 109Gs flew in the Brünn (Brno) area, in Bohemia, as late as 30 April 1945. That was the last known combat mission of the MKHL.

Michal 9th November 2007 00:26

Thanks for reply, Dénes. :)

Mentioned Milovice is probably Milovice, 5 kilometers north of Mikulov (Nikolsdorf), Southern Moravia. Not in Central Bohemia. There are two Milovice in Central Bohemia where dog-fights really didn´t take place on April 17 1945. For sure, I am researching this area for couple of years. Fourth Milovice is situated on Moravia as well, some 10 kilometers south of Kroměříž (Kremsier). There should be dog-fights as well, but I suppose Milovice by Mikulov is best candidate.

Where based Hungarian Fighters on April 17 1945? At Raffelding? It is some 250 kilometers between Mikulov and Raffelding. It is longer way to other places named Milovice.

Is known how many Hungarian Fighters participated on missions on April 17 1945? And is known some book or article which describe MKHL Operation over Moravia?

Thanks for help

Michal

Dénes Bernád 9th November 2007 09:26

Hello Michal,

Currently I am at work, so I cannot answer immediately your questions. I will check them on the week-end.
I checked the map and there are two 'Milovice' around Brno: Milovice, Jihomoravsky Kraj (South of Brno) and Milovice, Zlinsky Kraj (East of Brno). Indeed, the first one (near Mikulov) is the best looking candidate.

By the way, you will be able to read a bit more about the activity of the MKHL over the Czech lands, and in general, in your own language, in a forthcoming book I co-authored:

http://aviatia.cda.ro/denes/files/madarska.jpg

http://nasevojsko.atlasobchod.cz/atl...D=401&Level=87

The book will be released on next Monday (Nov. 12).

Csaba B. Stenge 9th November 2007 10:13

Michal,

Főhadnagy Elemér Kiss served at that time (middle of April, 1945) at the staff of the 101/II. Fighter Group (he never served at the 101/3. Squadron, he served earlier at the 101/5. Sq). The dogfight was over Southern Moravia, of course (7 Hungarian Bf 109's vs 7 Soviet Yak's) The air victory was scored south of Milovice at 11:15 (mentioned it in my aces book as the last confirmed Puma air victory - I have the exact reported location in map grid as well)
BTW Kiss claimed four (4) air victories, it was his last one. He survived the war and passed away in 1977 in West Germany.

The Hungarian Messers took off from Raffelding.

Sziráki went missing, the exact crashing place is not known. He never returned after the war. His squadron-mates were not able to say anything valuable about his fate. I found his relatives as well, but they have no additional info.

Michal 10th November 2007 17:18

Thank you for help.

I have got other questions:

1) Is known First Name of Sziráki?
2) Csaba, could you write German Planquadrat, where was Soviet Plane shot down?

Best

Michal

Dénes Bernád 10th November 2007 17:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michal (Post 53862)
1) Is known First Name of Sziráki?

Mihály (i.e., the Hungarian version of your Christian name). :)