Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum

Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/index.php)
-   Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   FuG 218 Neptun radar (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/showthread.php?t=5500)

James Fullingim 23rd July 2006 16:10

FuG 218 Neptun radar

My question has to do with a specific radar receiving unit that was used onboard the late model Messerschmitt Bf110g4 aircraft. This was the FuG 218 Neptun radar, with the modified “X” shaped antenna on the forward nose.

What radar display receiver was installed in the Bf 110 for this unit? The Me 262 B1a/u1 had the smaller single screen display for its FuG 218 radar and FuG 350 Naxos receiver. Was something similar to this also installed in the Bf 110g4? If so, is there any documentation where the controls were located for the FuG 218 Bedientgeräte I and Bedientgeräte II? I would like to use this in a 1/32 model that will depict Obst. Hans-Joachim Jabs’ Bf 110G-4/R3 from 1945. Surely he used the single screen display that was similar to that in the Me 262 B1a/u1, and not the more common Sn2 two-screen display radar.

There is some cockpit photo documentation for this single screen display in the experimental versions of Fw 190s and Bf 109s, but I have found nothing for the Bf 110gs.

George Hopp 27th July 2006 19:37

Re: FuG 218 Neptun radar

The FuG 218 set had a single scope for output. That single screen display you saw in the Me 262 night fighter was the FuG 218 scope. AND, it was NOT combined with the scope for the FuG 350Z!! That was someone's imagination because we are told that the Me 262 night fighter carried the FuG 350z set but where was it and where was the scope, so someone decided they had to have been combined. This would have been impossible because the FuG 218 output its signals along horizontal and vertical timelines, while the Naxos output its information around the edge of the scopy.

The scope and its two control units would have had to have been in the location previously occupied by the SN-2 set on the left side of the area above the cockpit decking. It had to be the left side since the FuG 16ZY set filled the right side. I would guess that Bediengerat II would be at the bottom, and then Bediengaret I and the Scope would be on top of the first unit, with the control unit to the outboard side of the scope unit. This is a guess, but the B II is larger than the other units, so it natuarally would be at the bottom; and BI had controls on its top surface, so it had to be on the top row; in addition to which you would want the scope to be as centralized as possible.

I hope this helps you,
George

James Fullingim 27th July 2006 23:05

George,
Thank you for your input on the FuG 218 receiving unit. The known dimensions of the Sn2 can be measured and contrasted to where the apparently smaller FuG 218 should fit. I assume the space requirements would be less when I examine the photos of the FuG 218 set in the Me 262 B1a/u1radar operator's station. What I would really like to see is a drawing or some type of document describing the layout and dimensions of the receiving unit, as this was attached to the avionics bulkhead left of the FuG 16ZY in the Bf 110g4. Perhaps some of the controls for the FuG 218 were located on the port side of the fuselage below the canopy. Thanks again,
Jim

George Hopp 28th July 2006 00:32

Quote:

Perhaps some of the controls for the FuG 218 were located on the port side of the fuselage below the canopy.
Sorry James, but the area on the sides of the radar/radio operator's cockpit had the ammunition boxes for the belly mounted MG 151/20s. So, it had to be in front of the operator or in the rear fuselage.

George Hopp 28th July 2006 19:20

Not below the canopy, but perhaps along the left side of the inside of the canopy. As I recall, there was a unit there early in the 110's career, perhaps the DF unit.

Slightly off topic, but apparently the 110 crews were glad when they heard they would not be carrying the Naxox FuG 350z homer because they simply did not have room for it. As I recall the scope for either that unit or for another homer had to be placed at the left rear of the gunner's cockpit (looking rearwards) because there was no room available in the radio/radar operator's cockpit. Even though it would have warned them of approaching intruders carrying 9cm radar.