Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum

Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/index.php)
-   Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Plane crashes 1940 (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/showthread.php?t=45757)

Bart V. 5th August 2016 19:37

Plane crashes 1940

Hello friends,
Would like some information on these plane crashes (Luftwaffe) in Belgium during 1940:

10 May 40: A plane crashed in ?, killing 2. One of them is Oblt. Hartmann.
11 May 40: A plane crashed in Zandhoven, killing 2.
13 May 40: A plane crashed in Brecht, killing 3. One of them is Oblt. Schocht. KG4.

That is all I know, thanks in advance!

Peter Cornwell 5th August 2016 21:06

Re: Plane crashes 1940

10 May 1940 3./StG77 Junkers Ju87B-1. Engine set alight by Belgian AA fire (Batt.19/VII 1.DTCA) during attack on the Kleine Nete lock on the Albert Canal at Herentals and crashed near Vorselaar, 6km north-west of the target area, 7.20 p.m. FF Oberlt Kurt Hartmann (Staffelkapitän) and BF Fw Walter Mische both killed. Aircraft 100% write-off.

11 May 1940 Stab KG54 Heinkel He111P-2. Attacked by 8 Curtiss H-75s of GC I/4 during reconnaissance of roads between Breda and Antwerp, and shot down in the forest of Begijnenbos, near Zandhoven 5.00 p.m. FF Uffz Emil Bohn and BO Oberlt Wilhelm Surborg (Geschwaderadjutant) both baled out and captured unhurt, BM Uffz Helmut Voges and BF Uffz Willi Nahrgang both killed. Aircraft 100% write-off.
Emil Bohn was later badly wounded at Dunkirk on May 29 while prisoner aboard the St Octave awaiting transport to England and died in hospital.

13 May 1940 Stab II./KG4 Heinkel He111P-2. Attacked by Adj Hôtellier, Lt Weiss, and Sgt Joire of GC I/4 between Wuestwezel and St Leonhard during sortie to bomb troop concentrations at Ghent. Also hit by AA fire and crashed at ‘Nollekens’, north-east of Brecht, 6.30 p.m. BO Oberlt Erwin Schacht (Gruppennavigationsoffizier) killed, BM Hauptgefr Walter Peil, and BF Gefr Rudolf Winkelmann (both of 6 Staffel) also killed, FF Oberlt Erich von Werthern (Gruppenadjutant) believed baled out and captured wounded. Aircraft 100% write-off.

Larry Hickey 5th August 2016 22:17

Bart V.

Do you have photos of any of these three incidents?

Larry Hickey
Eagles Over Europe
Project Coordinator

Bart V. 6th August 2016 18:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Cornwell (Post 221686)
10 May 1940 3./StG77 Junkers Ju87B-1. Engine set alight by Belgian AA fire (Batt.19/VII 1.DTCA) during attack on the Kleine Nete lock on the Albert Canal at Herentals and crashed near Vorselaar, 6km north-west of the target area, 7.20 p.m. FF Oberlt Kurt Hartmann (Staffelkapitän) and BF Fw Walter Mische both killed. Aircraft 100% write-off.

11 May 1940 Stab KG54 Heinkel He111P-2. Attacked by 8 Curtiss H-75s of GC I/4 during reconnaissance of roads between Breda and Antwerp, and shot down in the forest of Begijnenbos, near Zandhoven 5.00 p.m. FF Uffz Emil Bohn and BO Oberlt Wilhelm Surborg (Geschwaderadjutant) both baled out and captured unhurt, BM Uffz Helmut Voges and BF Uffz Willi Nahrgang both killed. Aircraft 100% write-off.
Emil Bohn was later badly wounded at Dunkirk on May 29 while prisoner aboard the St Octave awaiting transport to England and died in hospital.

13 May 1940 Stab II./KG4 Heinkel He111P-2. Attacked by Adj Hôtellier, Lt Weiss, and Sgt Joire of GC I/4 between Wuestwezel and St Leonhard during sortie to bomb troop concentrations at Ghent. Also hit by AA fire and crashed at ‘Nollekens’, north-east of Brecht, 6.30 p.m. BO Oberlt Erwin Schacht (Gruppennavigationsoffizier) killed, BM Hauptgefr Walter Peil, and BF Gefr Rudolf Winkelmann (both of 6 Staffel) also killed, FF Oberlt Erich von Werthern (Gruppenadjutant) believed baled out and captured wounded. Aircraft 100% write-off.

Thanks very much, Peter C.! That's excellent.

Larry, no sorry, I'm researching / investigating everything related to Antwerp 40-45 and find there names on burial lists of that period. I'm searching photographs myself. Related to the crash in Zandhoven, they both were buried as unknown at Schoonselhof. Need to check Volksbund but I wanted to thank you already, Peter.

Bart V. 6th August 2016 20:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Cornwell (Post 221686)

May I ask if it was normal like for instance the crash on 13 May 1940, that two men of the 6. Staffel joined a plane with officers of the Stab II. instead of two other ther BF/BM from the Stab II.? Or was the plane from Stab II. and did they belong to 6. Staffel?

Peter Cornwell 7th August 2016 09:06

Bart,

It was not at all unusual for men from a Staffel within a Gruppe to make up numbers in a crew of the Gruppe Stabsschwarm when necessary. In this case, the aircraft was from the Stab II./KG4 and carried two NCOs drawn from 6 Staffel.