Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum

Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/index.php)
-   Books and Magazines (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Hawker Hurricane, Fury & Hind - The Yugoslav Story 1931-1941 (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/showthread.php?t=55717)

vvkj41 12th December 2019 14:01

Hawker Hurricane, Fury & Hind - The Yugoslav Story 1931-1941

1 Attachment(s)
Dear All,

I want to inform you that the book Hawker: Hurricane, Fury and Hind - The Yugoslav Story (Operational Record 1931-1941) is with the printer. I published it myself (Leaden Sky Books). It will be ready for shipment in about two weeks. Will let you know in time.
For completely subjective reasons publication has been delayed for almost two years.

Brian Cull wrote the Foreword and Stig Jarlevik the Review. Thank you so much guys! I really appreciate it very much! Not to mention I am deeply flattered.

I also want to thank, from the bottom of my heart, to all of you who selflessly helped me to write this book. I also take the opportunity to thank those who have delayed publishing to the utmost. This way they have completely solidified in me the intention to publish it no matter what...

The Hawker TYS book followed as a logical sequel to my book Blenheim - The Yugoslav Story (LeadenSky Books, 2014) and the use of British aircraft in the Royal Yugoslav Army Air Force (VVKJ) service.

The book is dedicated to my dear friend Jan van den Heuvel who no longer flies with us…

It is A4 size, hard cover, 196 pages and weighs 0.95kg

It contains more than 50 testimonies, written statements, orders and observations by direct participants from all sides that take part in 1941 April war. It also contains a completely unknown interview with Engineer Kosta Sivčev, who participated in the unprecedented modification of the Hurricane to a Daimler Benz DB601 A engine (LVT-1 Project), describing the entire job in smallest details. Special technical drawing of modified airplane is inside as well.

There is six maps inside, as well as Appendix 10 (Places with Geographical Coordinates) with the exact GPS coordinates of each place (130+) mentioned. With the help of Appendix 11 (Personal Names), you will quickly find some of the (300+) names in the book.

Beautifully selected photographs and documents (254+3). Exactly 50 color profiles and views prepared by my dear friend Aerospace Engineer Dragan Šaler, who evoke in detail the little known VVKJ Hawkers coloring schemes and markings, as well as several unusual and unique modifications made at the Zmaj and Ikarus airplane factories…

I hope you will enjoy reading it!

Here are the contents:

Foreword
by Brian Cull

Review
by Stig Jarlevik

CHAPTER 1: Island Wind
New Age - New Deal

CHAPTER 2: Hawker Fury

CHAPTER 3: Wings of Blood
5. lovački puk (5.Fighter Regiment)
35. vazduhoplovna grupa (35.Aviation Group)
5. vazduhoplovna baza (5.Aviation Base)
36. vazduhoplovna grupa (36.Aviation Group)
3. pilotska škola (3.Pilot School)
War Prizes

CHAPTER 4: Hawker Hind

CHAPTER 5: Into the Fire
11. samostalna grupa za daljno izviđanje (11.Independent Long Range Recce Group)

CHAPTER 6: Hawker Hurricane

CHAPTER 7: Betrayal
52. vazduhoplovna grupa (52.Aviation Group)

CHAPTER 8: Wasted Years
2. MVB
4. lovački puk (4.Fighter Regiment)

CHAPTER 9: David Against Goliath
3. pilotska škola (3.Pilot School)

CHAPTER 10: Full Blooded Crossbreed (DB 601A powered Hurricane Mk.I)

CHAPTER 11: Bearing The Michael’s Cross

CHAPTER 12: Camouflage & Markings
Fury
Hind
Hurricane

Color Profiles
Acknowledgments

Appendix (1-11)
Abbrevations
Selected Archival Funds and Documents
Selected Bibliography
Places with Geographical Coordinates
Personal Names
About the Author

Price will be 42,50 EUR, Air mail postage with parcel tracking code included!

More details and preview can be found at http://www.leadenskybooks.com/
Web site is still under reconstruction but functional…

Aleks Ognjević

Jukka Juutinen 12th December 2019 15:51

Re: Hawker Hurricane, Fury & Hind - The Yugoslav Story 1931-1941

Is the Blenheim book still available?

vvkj41 12th December 2019 16:14

I believe that small quantity will be available at the same time as Hawker book, maybe a bit later...

Maciej Góralczyk 12th December 2019 18:09

OK, count me in for a copy.

Stig Jarlevik 12th December 2019 18:47

Make no mistake (even if I am biased, due to my interest in Yugoslavian history), this is a d..n good book and Alex can be really proud of his achievement.

Since Alex and I are good friends He sent me a review copy and all I can say is keep them coming Alex, keep them coming....:)

Cheers
Stig

Orwell1984 12th December 2019 21:45

This will be the exception to my three month book buying moratorium.
I’ll definitely be ordering a copy!

djnikcy 14th December 2019 05:57

This will be a great book! Can't wait to get my hands on one!

Milos Gazdic 16th December 2019 02:02

Aleks! Cestitke na knjizi! Makes me really happy to see it published, especially now that I am coming to Belgrade for the holidays!

And I am really sad to hear about Jan! May our friend rest in peace. He would be really happy to see it published.

vvkj41 16th December 2019 13:43

Hi Guys,

It's good to know that there are some of you still interested in rare topics like Royal Yugoslav Army Air Force! Thanks for all of your comments. I really appreciate it very much!
And here is the Stig's Review (thanks again for your time & good will to help!):

I was very honored when my good Serbian friend Alexandar Ognjevic sent me a review copy of his latest production about Hawker aircraft in Yugoslavia. (Hawker - The Yugoslav Story)

I admit, hands down, I am biased since the book contains an unbeatable combination of interests to me, British aircraft, exotic use and we are all brought back to the 1930s and 40s again. Admittedly the 20th Century was the most troublesome era in Europe’s violent history and in spite of my fascination of it, I truly wish Europe will never see anything like it ever again.

As usual Alex has left no stones unturned when roaming through available files still remaining in archives today or called upon good friends in the former Republic to establish new facts. I admit I was fascinated from the start, but then again I am deeply fascinated in all aviation history originating from the Balkan area.

In the book we can closely follow the three aircraft types and with the beginning of the April war also follow those remaining in use in a day-by-day history, unit-by-unit. Alex has also tried to establish who were the individuals/units these Yugoslavian fighter pilots met in combat. Even their enemies get faces. We also learn a bit about the politics behind the aircraft procurement and the turbulence surrounding decisions made.

We also get closer to individuals either making these decisions and those who tried to undermine them. We also get to know many of those who flew the various types. What I use to call the enemy within was ever present in Yugoslavia, both before, during and after WW 2. That in itself – here set in an aviation historical context – should be a clear warning to all politicians, DON’T do such mistakes again.

Unfortunately too little detailed information of each individual aircraft has survived to make any valid historical listings possible (I like lists) but it is a very good read anyway. Every serial number known together with their fates are there.

For the modeler the skilful drawings by Dragan Šaler can be viewed at the end. Even I, not very interesting in the actual paintings of aircraft, can enjoy his expertise!

In short, try it, you will not be disappointed. Together with plenty of photographs and charts we get a wonderful combination of facts and pictures. If you are a Hawker aficionado – just buy it!!

If you are not, buy it anyway since you will certainly learn something from it.

Stig Jarlevik

Air Britain member 09564
Goeteborg, September 2019

Mirek Wawrzynski 7th January 2020 13:32

Re: one copy Hawker Hurricane, Fury & Hind - The Yugoslav Story 1931-1941

Hi
send my your e-mail

I would order one copy of this book, my friend pay for it via PayPal as the last time, I think you have still the same option paying via PayPal?

Congratulation, splendit book, but pity , as I see that still no picture of LVT-1 has surfaced up to this edition, such a saint Graa among the picturesl

Anyway a lot of nice information and pictures too

regards
Mirek Wawrzyński
Kraszewskiego 6 m. 5
05-803 Poland
mirwaw_xl@wp.pl