Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum

Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/index.php)
-   Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Is there a list of German Bomber Aces (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/showthread.php?t=47874)

PMoz99 14th April 2017 15:28

Is there a list of German Bomber Aces

Has anyone put together a list of German bomber pilots or crew based on number of missions completed? I have seen one of Russians .....

Also, on a forum I saw a contributor credit StG/SG ace Horst Kaubisch with 137 tank kills in a Stuka and/or FW190F. I haven't seen this anywhere else, so I ask, is it correct?

Thanks
Peter

VtwinVince 14th April 2017 20:39

Re: Is there a list of German Bomber Aces

Best book I've seen so far is Bruetting's 'Das Waren die Deutschen Kampfflieger-Asse' from way back, printed by Motorbuch-Verlag.

GrafWolf 14th April 2017 21:00

Hello gentlemen!

Yes-but there is only an entry to Oberleutnant Werner Kaupisch on page 120.
In January 1941 this pilot saved the crew from Hauptmann Kowalewski
out of the desert 270 km SE of Benghasi.

Herzliche Grüsse aus Oberschwaben,

Wolfgang

PMoz99 15th April 2017 04:05

Thanks.
Sorry if I misled re Kaubisch - he flew Ju87 and FW190F in StG77 and SG77 and SG1, not with any KG. I maybe should have put him in a separate post.
Peter

Tom Semenza 15th April 2017 04:24

It is in fact Maj. Horst Kaubisch (Eichenlaub awarded 24.06.44). The 137 tanks destroyed from his time with III./St.G. 77 on the Russian front. Later KiA on 12.02.45 flying a FW 190. (From Obermaier's Die Ritterkreuztraeger der Luftwaffe, 1939-45, Band II.

Tom

PMoz99 15th April 2017 04:36

Thank you Tom!

Chris Goss 15th April 2017 09:59

We are confusing Kampfflieger with Schlachtflieger. What constitutes a bomber ace-missions flown, targets destroyed, tonnage of bombs dropped? Best books on bomber award recipients were the 2 listing RK winners likewise Obermaier's book on ground attack recipients

PMoz99 15th April 2017 12:02

Sorry Chris, I just badly framed my post in the first place, and I'm paying for it now.
The list I was looking for was regarding KG bombers. There is a StG/SG list available already.
The lists I've seen are usually sorted by number of missions flown. Not always the best way to "judge" whether one is an ace or not, but then many of the various decorations were handed out when one had flown a certain number of missions. Of course, there were always exceptions .......

G.R.Morrison 15th April 2017 17:57

While Brütting was good in its time, it has been surpassed by Jochen Kaiser's two-volume Die Ritterkreuzträger der Kampfflieger, Luftfahrtverlag-Start, ©2010, 2011

The dilemma of using a raw number of sorties is that the Luftwaffe counted a mission of greater than four hours differently than a briefer flight. Baumbach's just-under 100 becomes 147 when one calculates those Feindflüge that were between four and eight hours.

Hansgeorg Bätcher's 658 Feindflüge, with 45 of these of more than four hours results in a theoretical total of 703.

Thus, on page 241 of Kaiser's second volume are two listings, one, "Die meisten Feindflüge," the next, "Die meisten Frontflüge," but many are listed only as "500+" , or even, in Bermadinger's case, "466+"

Pages 242, 243 include listings of oldest and youngest, the first few dozen awarded during 1940, the last ones awarded from March 1945, and a breakdown by rank at the time of award.

If interested in the Kampfflieger, these books are absolutely worth investing in.
GRM

Maxim1 16th April 2017 08:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by G.R.Morrison (Post 232314)
Thus, on page 241 of Kaiser's second volume are two listings, one, "Die meisten Feindflüge," the next, "Die meisten Frontflüge," but many are listed only as "500+" , or even, in Bermadinger's case, "466+"

Hello, G. R. Morrison.

What is the difference between Feindflüge and Frontflüge?

Regards,
Maksim