Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum

Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/index.php)
-   Books and Magazines (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Market research - 'Most Wanted' Luftwaffe books (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/showthread.php?t=62091)

richdlc 29th May 2022 18:43

Market research - 'Most Wanted' Luftwaffe books

Hi guys,

I have been reading some interesting comments in recent days about the kinds of books people would like to see, which got me thinking. How about a list of such titles? What do you think has been overlooked in the past, perhaps a definitive guide to the Bf 109 in the Classic Publications style? I am asking in my capacity as a publisher (Chandos Publications) so please, feel free to comment. Tell me what you'd like and why, what it must include, what has been covered ad nauseum before (ie what to avoid). I'm all ears!

ju55dk 29th May 2022 20:00

Re: Market research - 'Most Wanted' Luftwaffe books

No more books about Bf 109 or Fw 190. They have both been amply covered in English and German. Still waiting for definit Ju 88 book based on original sources.
Junker

MW Giles 29th May 2022 20:15

What I would like most from a Lw perspective is a detailed operational history of the zerstörer units 1939-1945, preferably en-masse, but would accept individual unit histories.

If I get a second vote I would like a book, the equivalent of the AB title - The Squadrons of the Royal Air Force and Commonwealth, but covering Lw units - how they were formed, where they were based, what types they operated and when, a brief potted history of the unit and then what units it morphed into when its role changed or it disbanded.

Not too much to ask before Christmas 2022?

My only bugbear - histories that take 450 pages to get to the end of 1942 and then 20 pages to complete the path to 1945

Martin

Jukka Juutinen 29th May 2022 22:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by ju55dk (Post 319703)
No more books about Bf 109 or Fw 190. They have both been amply covered in English and German. Still waiting for definit Ju 88 book based on original sources.
Junker

I have to disagree, especially on the Bf 109 in English. For example, can you point to a book in English that tells you that the undercarriage of the G-6 was strengthened over 70 % over the G-2 undercarriage?

richdlc 29th May 2022 22:47

interesting responses guys
that new self-published book by Michael Baumgartl on the Bf 109 would be a good candidate for an English version, supplemented by photos

John Vasco 29th May 2022 22:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by MW Giles (Post 319704)
What I would like most from a Lw perspective is a detailed operational history of the zerstörer units 1939-1945, preferably en-masse, but would accept individual unit histories.

If I get a second vote I would like a book, the equivalent of the AB title - The Squadrons of the Royal Air Force and Commonwealth, but covering Lw units - how they were formed, where they were based, what types they operated and when, a brief potted history of the unit and then what units it morphed into when its role changed or it disbanded.

Not too much to ask before Christmas 2022?

My only bugbear - histories that take 450 pages to get to the end of 1942 and then 20 pages to complete the path to 1945

Martin

You need to look a little bit harder, Martin... ;)

Jukka Juutinen 29th May 2022 23:06

My first favourites would be technical monographs on some less covered types. Currently by far the best German aircraft monograph in English is Dietmar Herrman's Ta 154 book. It concentrates on the aircraft itself which is the key to an excellent aircraft monograph.

A Luftwaffe book that I would like to see would be titled e.g. "Heinkel He 111 - Development, Design , Construction, Testing, Production". Or the same on the Ju 87, Do 217, B & V 138 or He 177.

SteveR 29th May 2022 23:32

Unit histories, as detailed as possible, especially for units for which there is no unit history.

JG 6 would top that list for me.

edwest2 30th May 2022 01:51

A book of unpublished photos. That's why I collect Luftwaffe im Focus.

Ed

Siko54 30th May 2022 07:52

Surprised there isn't more on the BF110 tbh (I know John's highly-regarded book is very expensive now!). Maybe do a reprint of that?