Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum

Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/index.php)
-   Allied and Soviet Air Forces (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   363rd Fighter Group in Staplehurst (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/showthread.php?t=16655)

Peter S 13th April 2009 00:53

363rd Fighter Group in Staplehurst

My colleague from Staplehurst is working on a project for a new memorial dedicated to the whole aircrew from 363rd Fighter Group (Sqns: 380,381 and 382)/ 9th USAAF, which in April 1944 were based in Staplehurst, Kent. If anyone has any info, pictures about those squadrons or is in touch with any living members, please help.

Atcham Tower 13th April 2009 10:42

Re: 363rd Fighter Group in Staplehurst

By coincidence there is a recent thread on the Warbird Information Exchange Forum entitled Easter Sunday 65 Years Ago. The poster's Dad was with the 363rd and there are a couple of photos. Sorry, can't send a link, PC problems! Could be a rich source of info for your friend.

SteveB 13th April 2009 12:06

Peter

Does your friend know about or have a copy of the unit history "Seven Months Over Europe - the 363FG in WW2" by Kent Miller published in 1989 (no ISBN possibly privately published).

Steve

Atcham Tower 13th April 2009 12:17

If he doesn't have a copy, AbeBooks.com have about 18 on offer from £25 upwards!

Peter S 13th April 2009 17:39

Many thanks guys for all info. Trouble with my friend is that he is not very familiar with computer and internet or in other words he has no access to this form of communication:rolleyes:
If anyone can help, please contact Teddy Sergison on this number:
01580891009 or via Headcorn Museum eventually Brenzett Museum.
Thanks a lot!

Andy Saunders 13th April 2009 19:04

Here is the link Atcham Tower refers to:

http://warbirdinformationexchange.or...+sunday++years

I need to check, but many years ago I recovered a Staplehurst based P-51 and donated a very nice prop blade to Brenzett Museum - c.1972. It may have been the same FG? If so, the blade would make a nice memorial piece.

I need to dig out my files. The pilot of this aircraft (from memory!) was Lt Carlton E Palmer who survived the incident but was killed later in the war.

Larry deZeng 13th April 2009 19:28

Mr. Saunders,

Please check your PM inbox for a PM sent to you on 3 April at 20:03 GMT entitled "Mystery Seaplane." If you did not receive it, please advise so it can be sent again.

Thank you.

Larry deZ.

nmayhew 17th April 2009 19:52

Peter,

Very interesting post!

I live a few miles down the road from Staplehurst (village) and I too am interested in the aircraft stationed there.

My interest is from a historic and modelling perspective - if i could find out more info on some of the aircraft stationed there, they will become modelling projects for me (probably 1/32).

As to reference material, do you have the following book?

"Kent Airfields In The Second World War"
Robin J. Brooks
Plublished by Countryside Books
ISBN 1 85306 523 4

There is a chapter on Staplehurst, and 2 very interesting pics:

P-51D "Big Mac" on p250 - crew and nose art clear, but unit codes / serial not shown

P-51B / C (?) (listed as a "D") "Little Chris II" - carrying fuel tanks but with bomb cart being dragged past; again codes and serial not visible.

I hope this is of help?

If you have any more info & pics on these a/c or others based there please do share them...

Let me know what you think.

Kind regards,

Nick

shooshoobaby 18th April 2009 00:13

Recent Book:
The 363d Fighter Group in WW II by Kent Miller
Schiffer Books
Available at www.aeroplanebooks.com
Click on Unit Histories - Page 2
Mike

nmayhew 18th April 2009 11:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by shooshoobaby (Post 84649)
Recent Book:
The 363d Fighter Group in WW II by Kent Miller
Schiffer Books
Available at www.aeroplanebooks.com
Click on Unit Histories - Page 2
Mike

Mike, I thnk that is the same book mentioned by Steve B...could be wrong tho'

Nick