Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum

Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/index.php)
-   Allied and Soviet Air Forces (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   92 Squadron Battle of Britain Claims - July 10th 1940 (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/showthread.php?t=50472)

Peter Cook 7th February 2018 21:00

92 Squadron Battle of Britain Claims - July 10th 1940

Can anyone help me to identify the source of a couple of claims listed in Brian Cull's Battle for the Channel. During the morning of 10th July 1940, the opening day of the Battle of Britain, 92 Squadron had 3 encounters with Luftwaffe bombers. Cull lists the 3rd of these as 2 Spitfires near Barry, 12:00-13:18, flown by P/O Hill and P/O Wright claiming an He 111 probable shared. I can find no corresponding combat reports at the National Archive and Form 540 and 541 do not mention this particular claim. I have reviewed claims and losses in Mason, Ramsey/Cornwell, Foreman, Shores, and Parry without success.

gedburke3 7th February 2018 22:33

Re: 92 Squadron Battle of Britain Claims - July 10th 1940

Hi Peter,
Certainly there is nothing in the ORB that indicates any combat on the 10th, in fact it states that no contact was made.
It is possible that the information came from D G Williams's combat report for the 10th which seems to contradict the ORB although it is difficult to read.
Alternatively, perhaps at the time that the research was completed he had access to a logbook and took the information from that.
Gerry

Laurent Rizzotti 8th February 2018 08:29

You can ask him directly here. He is active in this forum under the name of Brian (see for example the last post of the sticky post on Friendly fire above)

Brian 8th February 2018 13:55

Hi guys

Just spotted this.

Sorry, I can't give a definitive answer as to where the information came from (my material for the book was gathered over a period of 25-30 years!) but I do recall reading a history of 92 Squadron (possibly privately published) many years ago - 'Best of the Few' by Michael Robinson. I no longer have a copy but this may have been the source of the information. If not, I'll keep delving into a ton of papers that represent part of my archive!!

Cheers
Brian

Peter Cook 8th February 2018 19:49

Thanks to all for your replies, and especially Brian -- I greatly appreciate your amazing work in your 2 Battle of Britain volumes, when is Volume 3 due!

Peter

Brian 9th February 2018 13:56

Hi Peter

I do have my critics so your kind words are encouraging!

I'm afraid that I cannot yet give a date for 'Battle for the Airfields' but hopefully next year. Definitely not this year - too much on my plate!

Cheers
Brian

James S. 9th February 2018 18:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Cook (Post 247243)
Thanks to all for your replies, and especially Brian -- I greatly appreciate your amazing work in your 2 Battle of Britain volumes, when is Volume 3 due!

Peter

Brian, I completely agree with Peter, your work is amazing. Your two books on the Battle of Britain, Twelve Days on May, and With the Yanks in Korea are some of my favorites of yours, and some of the best books I've ever read. Looking forward to whatever you do next and hopefully a third volume on the Battle of Britain.

James

Brian 9th February 2018 19:12

Hi James

Wow! Thanks for the kind words.

I've now got at least two fans!

Best
Brian

James S. 9th February 2018 19:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian (Post 247310)
Hi James

Wow! Thanks for the kind words.

I've now got at least two fans!

Best
Brian

Hi Brian

You're most welcome. Thank You for all the work you've done on your books.

James

Smithy 10th February 2018 22:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Cook (Post 247207)
Can anyone help me to identify the source of a couple of claims listed in Brian Cull's Battle for the Channel. During the morning of 10th July 1940, the opening day of the Battle of Britain, 92 Squadron had 3 encounters with Luftwaffe bombers. Cull lists the 3rd of these as 2 Spitfires near Barry, 12:00-13:18, flown by P/O Hill and P/O Wright claiming an He 111 probable shared. I can find no corresponding combat reports at the National Archive and Form 540 and 541 do not mention this particular claim. I have reviewed claims and losses in Mason, Ramsey/Cornwell, Foreman, Shores, and Parry without success.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian (Post 247224)
a history of 92 Squadron (possibly privately published) many years ago - 'Best of the Few' by Michael Robinson.

Hi Peter and Brian,

I have just had a look in Robinson's "Best of the Few" (pg 47) and there is no mention of any claims by 92 on the 10th July.

Cheers,

Tim