Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum

Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/index.php)
-   Allied and Soviet Air Forces (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Friendly fire WWII (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/showthread.php?t=2670)

Brian 7th August 2009 15:27

Re: Friendly fire WWII

Hi Nik

Thanks for the latest incidents and explanation.

Do please keep them coming whenever you find them!

Best
Brian

Bruce Dennis 7th August 2009 23:17

501 posts and no end in sight! What a thread!

Bruce

Brian 7th August 2009 23:47

Thanks Bruce

But not quite so - Volume I should appear by the end of the year!

Having said that, I currently have three other books with different publishers awaiting their respective appearances! Apparently the resession is biting!

Cheers
Brian

crolick 11th August 2009 21:54

Brian - I have some friendly fire incident from 1 IX 1939 but this concerns Luftwaffe. Does it counts?!

Have a nice day!
Andrzej

Brian 12th August 2009 10:35

Hi Andrzej

Yes, certainly. I do have a number of incidents from the Polish war but I may not those you have found. Please advise.

Many thanks
Brian

crolick 12th August 2009 15:55

Brian,

for September 1939 I have:
Hs.126 (P2+MK) from 2.(H)/21 downed on 1 IX 1939 by 2 Bf.110 from I./ZG 1 near Warszkowo. Crew (Olt. Rehdanz WIA and Lt. Schmidt) was taken POW by Polish ground units.

If anyone can trace down both German pilots whom downed Hs.126 it would be greatly appreciated!!

Andrzej

Brian 12th August 2009 23:01

Hi Andrzej

Many thanks. I had details of the incident but not the names of the crew.
Excellent!

Cheers
Brian

Fighterbeau 30th September 2009 19:20

I'm researching the death of Sgt Pilot Wright, who died after being hit by anti aircraft fire near Winchester in October 1942. RAF Museum very helpful, but does anyone have other information?

Mike

Brian 30th September 2009 22:52

Hi Mike

All that I have noted so far is:

Beaufighter V8229 of 29 Squadron shot down at 1510 on 21 October by AA fire, the very day that an officer from AA Command came to lecture 29 Squadron on co-operation with the guns. Hit just 35 minutes into the flight, caught fire and crashed one mile west of Winchelsea, with the loss of Sgt Harold Wright and his navigator Sgt Alfred Akester. An investigation into the accident put the loss down to an “unfortunate error in recognition by the AA gunners. Fresh attention drawn to pilots and crews where rules for opening fire are unrestricted.”

Hope this helps. Are you able to add to this?
Cheers
Brian

north_weald 3rd October 2009 17:36

I have two involving Norwegian pilots, apologies if these are already written here. 40 plus pages is a lot!

During the Dieppe-raid, 332 sqd mistook a RAF Hawker Typhoon squadron for Focke Wulf 190's. One of the Norwegian pilots opene fire and the squadron leader was shot down. Totally sorry for not remembering the squadron involved. The squadron leader was killed in this incident. The incident is described in several books, Svein Heglunds "Høk over Høk", my own book "Gladiator" and Cato Guhnfeldts "Spitfire Saga".

A few days after the D-Day landings, 331 sqd leader Leif Lundsten was shot down by friendly Naval fire just outside the beaches of Normandie. His last doings in this world was to give the others the correct course home before he said goodbye and told them to give his regards to the people "at home" in Norway when the war was over. He crashed into the sea.