Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum

Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/index.php)
-   Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Code used for type of illness/injuries in German Nachtjagd Soldbuch (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/showthread.php?t=50736)

Theo Boiten 11th March 2018 19:29

Code used for type of illness/injuries in German Nachtjagd Soldbuch

Dear all,

I recently obtained a Soldbuch of a former Nachtjäger with NJG6. In September 1944, he was shot down, baled out and was injured -in his Soldbuch is an entry under the heading 'Krankheit' ('illness/injuries') that gives a code '-34-'. Can anybody tell me what the '-34-' stands for/i.e. does this indicate the nature of his injuries?

Cheers, Theo

Delmenhorst 11th March 2018 20:41

Re: Code used for type of illness/injuries in German Nachtjagd Soldbuch

I have it as 'Schädigung durch Unfall (Ausgenommen Feindeinwirkung)'

edwest2 11th March 2018 20:51

This information comes from an Army soldbuch. It may or may not be applicable. I hope it is. The following is an excerpt from another site.

These pages recorded any hospital stays the owner was unlucky enough to have suffered. This page is often heavily filled out, even for individuals who were never wounded but saw a lot of service time (guess they liked the pretty nurses…).

The first column, labeled simply “Lazarett” recorded the name of the hospital. More often than not this entry was block line stamped in with inks of various colors.

The second and third columns were for the date, separated by day and month in the first then year in the second.

The third column, which spills onto the next page, was used to describe the problem the soldier was having. The way this was listed was the preference of the individual filling it out and is split about 50/50. Half the time the condition is written in with a word or very short description. In more than one book and more than one entry in each “Angina” was written (guess I buy a lot of Soldbuchs of guys with heart trouble!). Another has multiple entries of “Magen” (stomach) and compound medical terms involving “Magen”. Another option was sort of numerical shorthand to describe the infliction. This is especially true of entries involving actual wounds. Below is a list of the numbers and the corresponding conditions:
1. Typhus
2. Dysentery
3. Tonsillitis
4. Cholera
5. Smallpox
6. Measles
7. Influenza
8. Spotted fever
9. Malaria
10. Tuberculosis
11. Pleura
12. Other Diseases
13. Gonorrhea
14. Syphilis
15. Other STD
16. Glandular diseases
17. Blood illness
18. Pneumonia
19. Other breathing organ complaints excluding TB
20. Teeth
21. Bowels
22. Digestive
23. Kidneys
24. Non sexually transmitted Genital Problems
25. Skin
26. Nerve/Mental
27. Eye
28. Ear
29. Bone and joint disorders
30. Muscle and joint disorders
31.Wounds and sickness due to enemy action:
a) Bulletwounds
b) Handgrenade, mortar, artillery (shrapnel)
c) Burns
d) Bombing or other air attack
e) Ariel combat
f) Tetanus
g) Sepsis or gangrene
32. Heat
33. Cold
34. Accident or self mutilation:
h) Planecrash
i) Suicide (including attempt or self inflicted wound)
35. Birth defects and weaknesses
36. Observation for feigning

edwest2 11th March 2018 20:52

Sorry for the formatting. Here is the remainder.

The fourth and fifth columns were to record the date the patient was released, formatted in the same “day.month” then “year” pattern.

The sixth column was for special notations regarding the patient’s condition or where he was sent next. The majority have hand written abbreviations including “dfz.E.Truppe”, “zidfg.z.Tr.”, ”Laz.zg.”, “verl.mit Laz.Zug”, and simply “kv” which meant “kriegsverwendungsfähig” (fit for use in war). The final column was for the signature of the doctor or administrator responsible for the patient.

Theo Boiten 11th March 2018 21:04

Thanks chaps for your interesting replies. In the instance that I quoted, the night fighter was shot down by 'friendly' Flak, which would explain the category nr. 34 ..

Cheers, Theo

hucks216 13th March 2018 11:00

Here is a full listing for the definition of Medical Code 34 - Column 8 is the one for the Wehrmacht (except Kriegsmarine). Taken from
Die Krankheitsnummern Der Ehemaligen Wehrmacht fur die zeit von 1896-1945

Laurent Rizzotti 13th March 2018 11:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Theo Boiten (Post 249021)
Thanks chaps for your interesting replies. In the instance that I quoted, the night fighter was shot down by 'friendly' Flak, which would explain the category nr. 34 ..

Cheers, Theo

Hello Theo, I'm still collecting friendly fire case to help Brian Cull for his book series.

I have one case of NJG 6 aircraft shot down by 'friendly' Flak in September 1944 with one wounded survivor:
1./NJG 6
Ettlingen bei Karlsruhe
Feindflug: ja
Bf 110 G-4 Werknr.: 140193 2Z + GH
Uffz. Josef Leufer verwundet, abgesprungen
Gefr. Harald Voigt gefallen
Gefr. Helmut Braun gefallen
Absturz nach Treffer der eigenen Flak.
(Source: Michael Balss Nachtjagd losses book, vol 1)

Can you confirm your airmen is Uffz Josef Leufer, or is it another case ?

Thanks in advance

Theo Boiten 14th March 2018 10:57

Hello Laurent,

Yes this is the one -but the right spelling of the name is LAUFER, not LEUFER.

Cheers, Theo