Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum

Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/index.php)
-   Books and Magazines (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   [New Edition]Henschel Hs 129 Panzerjäger by Martin Pegg (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/showthread.php?t=51735)

Steve Coates 12th August 2019 11:46

Re: [New Edition]Henschel Hs 129 Panzerjäger by Martin Pegg

Although I have to declare an interest in that I helped Martin source content for the book, my first impressions are very favourable. I haven't yet had the opportunity to read it in depth but it's well laid out, printed on nice quality paper and represents an upgrade on the Classic volume. I wouldn't sleep on getting a copy.

Dénes Bernád 12th August 2019 11:48

I am in a special, perhaps unique, situation, as I wrote three (and a half) books about this airplane type, which is dear to me.
I just flicked through the pages of the book and the printing quality is excellent.
What I could not find though is a comprehensive production list, broken down in production and Werknummern batches, similar to what I did (from scratch) and published in my last two books. This is a huge disappointment for me, but perhaps I am alone with this.
More thoughts later, after I will read the book, or at least important parts of it.

Steve Coates 12th August 2019 13:36

There's a reconstruction of Werk Nummer blocks on Page 42.

Dénes Bernád 12th August 2019 13:44

Then my bad, I must have skipped it. I was focusing on the annexes, at the rear. Will check it tonight.

Jukka Juutinen 12th August 2019 16:20

Does it have information on its handling characteristics (e.g. spinning, stalling, control harmony, take-off and landing, single-engine performance) and info on e.g. how the armour was tested etc.?

Frank Olynyk 12th August 2019 17:16

Jukka,
While wandering randomly through my copy, I noticed the last paragraph on page 36, which starts "The handling characteristics of the Hs 129 B had also been improved." With details following. So I assume that earlier pages cover the handling characteristics of earlier versions.

Enjoy!

Frank.

Dénes Bernád 12th August 2019 20:09

I checked the production table on page 42. I see, total numbers produced is put at 896, of which 889 were accepted.
I compared with my own figure, which says 1165+ built (Henschel Hs 129. MMP Books, 2010, page 99-100, included in the new book's bibliography, on page 294).
I am the first one to admit that my own figure is not 100% correct, as many documents are missing, so piecing together the production table is a great challenge.
However, I can firmly state that Martin Pegg has missed a few production blocks, and I can prove this statement with documents coming from the Rumanian archives, among other sources.
I also greatly miss a link between Werknummern and Stammkennzeichen, as well as production dates of the various batches.
Conclusion: more research needs to be done in order to come up with the most reliable and precise Hs 129 production batch.

edwest2 12th August 2019 22:03

Perhaps this upcoming book will have additional information.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/283566264982

Col Bruggy 13th August 2019 15:21

Hello,

I noticed on my invoice (12/08/19), the order # was 646, possibly indicating sales were at 646 copies.

Col.

edwest2 13th August 2019 17:28

Not necessarily. My company ships books and the invoice number does not reflect the actual number of books in stock.