Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum

Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/index.php)
-   Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Erwin Bacsila (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/showthread.php?t=49887)

VtwinVince 5th December 2017 00:36

Erwin Bacsila

There is a lot of conflicting information concerning the claims of this officer. He certainly served with some interesting units. Is there any consensus as to his ultimate claims total?

Johannes 5th December 2017 08:31

Re: Erwin Bacsila

We are in agreement about conflicting totals. I would say that he failed to make ace status i.e less than five confirmed claims.

Kind Regards

Johannes

PMoz99 5th December 2017 09:57

Johannes - do you have any solid information to support your estimate?
Unless we can find Flugbuecher or other source documentation, I think the total can only be said to be between 2 and 34. 34 may be way overstated, but again we have nothing to say it can't be correct.
Given many researchers have scoured all available source documents and provided detailed information in many other cases, the fact that there is still no published info (that I am aware of) in this case suggests to me there are none. Does that also suggest there were no kills, or at least not so many to attract any attention?
Bacsila was apparently awarded the DKG (date unknown) - when the DKG is awarded, is there any statement giving the reason for its award (like the RK)? Would there be a clue available there?
Bacsila survived the war - did his logs?
Peter

Johannes 7th December 2017 08:21

Hi Peter

Sometimes I don't know where these totals come from? Some pilots exaggerated, some are based on the points system, others have unconfirmed claims in their totals.

Fact is that onlt his claim with 8./JG 52 for 26th July 1942 a I-153 at 1612 hrs is found on the mikro films, it would be his only confirmed claim with this unit.

The Stab./JG 77 claims are omitted from the mikro films, but the unit sources seem pretty reliable:-

9th November 1942 P-40, and 13th December 1942 a Spitfire.

The miro film entries fade-out at the end of 1944, and are missing in the West for January 1944, however there is a secondary mikro film listing claim date and time only, nothing else. It has been for years stated that he claimed a B-17 on 30th January 1944 with Stab.I./JG 4 at 1150 hrs, and indeed there is such a claim matching this on the secondary mikro film.

The mikro films of the daily type i.e two sheets one East one West for all units generally ran from July 1942 until December 1944, most units appear on them over this period. Prior to this the mikro films are per unit, some units are missing.

It would appear that judging by the time-lines for each of his many units that I should have come across ALL of his claims until December 1944.

He was born on 27th January 1910, and died on 3rd March 1982.

His unit were I./JG 333, I./JG 54, II./ZG 1, JG 101, LG 2, 10./JG 2, 7./NJG 1, 7./JG 52, Stab./JG 77, Erp.Kdo.16, IV./JG 3, I./JG 400.

Some evidence(photo) that he received the Deutsches Cross in Gold........I would say for his leadership qualities rather than "claims" record.

Don't know what records he managed to keep post-war.

Drop me a personal e.mail with your own e.mail address and I'll forward you his biography and my "all claimers" list.

Kind Regards

Johannes