Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum

Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/index.php)
-   Pre-WW2 Military and Naval Aviation (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Bf109A,B,C,D in Legion Condor (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/showthread.php?t=51351)

PMoz99 17th June 2018 02:46

Re: Bf109A,B,C,D in Legion Condor

Hello Sidney. Thanks for the photos and the assistance.
Unfortunately, I'm afraid I'm not aware of the minor detail differences between the variants to be able to tell the difference, and the photo quality is also a hurdle.
I know the B series had wooden, then retrofitted metal 2 bladed props, and the C introduced wing guns, but otherwise .........
I think the captions on some photos are also erroneous. I have a photo of 6o32 in the Osprey book on the A-D series and they say it's a D.
You mentioned that the D had the electrical socket on the starboard side under the cockpit before, but it's difficult to see in many of the photos. Was the socket provision on the port side retained as well? I ask because I'm pretty sure I've seen photos captioned D with a socket on the port side.
Peter

sidney 17th June 2018 09:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by PMoz99 (Post 253557)
Hello Sidney. Thanks for the photos and the assistance....

... Was the socket provision on the port side retained as well? I ask because I'm pretty sure I've seen photos captioned D with a socket on the port side.
Peter

Peter,

You are welcome.

The electrical socket and oxygen filler point were retained on the starboard side of the aircraft, but their respective position differed between the Bf 109 B (under the cockpit) and Bf 109 C/D (slightly behind the cockpit), as you can see on the attached photos - 6-47 (B) and 6-59 (apparently D-1).

Regards,
Sinisa

PMoz99 17th June 2018 17:19

1 Attachment(s)
Hello Sinisa.
Yes, I noticed the socket below and behind the canopy. So you're saying all the electrical sockets were on the starboard side?
On some photos and many profiles there is a very small round panel which could be a socket or filler of some sort under the centre of the canopy on the port side. Example attached.
Any idea what that is? Fuel filler?
Peter

sidney 17th June 2018 17:38

Yes, it is the fuel filler point on early Bf 109s, and also in the same position on the Friedrichs (i.e., Bf 109 Fs).

PMoz99 18th June 2018 02:59

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks again. Sidney or Sinisa or either?
I take it then the attached is not a B as captioned?
I'll keep digging.
Cheers
Peter

sidney 18th June 2018 16:19

Peter, either is good.

It would appear as C or D to me.

Regards,
Sinisa

knusel 19th June 2018 10:54

Good morning Peter, Sidney and Michel,

interesting thread that reveals a mess in the literature about the Bf109 types used in Spain.
Can we at least safely say that Werner Mölders scored all his Spain kills in a D-Type ?

Cheers,

Michael

PMoz99 19th June 2018 16:28

Not so sure about that Michael - after Norbert Flegel crash landed Bf109B-1 6o7 in Sep 1937, it was repaired and flown by Molders, per Laureau in the Condor book.
Given Molders' first kill was July 1938, it would seem likely it was in a D, but I don't know if we can say that for certain without more information.
Peter

knusel 19th June 2018 17:22

Good afternoon Peter,

from Matti I learned that Mölders scored his first kill in 6-79.

Cheers,

Michael

PMoz99 20th June 2018 04:11

I'd say that settles it then. The E did not enter production until late 1938. Do we know when the first E arrived in Spain?
Peter