Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum

Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/index.php)
-   Post-WW2 Military and Naval Aviation (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Top Jet Aces (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/showthread.php?t=9817)

Sylvester Stadler 16th August 2007 02:26

Top Jet Aces

On the History Channel, the last episode of Dogfights, entitled Desert Aces, which included the air combats of Col. Giora Epstein, 17 kills, of the Israeli Air Force, claimed that he was the top jet ace in history. Anyone who has studied the operational history of the Messerschmitt Me 262 would know that the top jet aces in aerial combat flew this aircraft. These aces would include:

Kurt Welter of NJG 11 with 28 or 29 kills out of a total of 63.
Rudolf Rademacher of JG 7 with 25 of a total of 126.
Franz Schall of JG 7 with 20 of a total of 137.
Georg-Peter Eder of JG 7 with 25 of a total of 78.

For many years it was believed that Heinz Bär was the top jet ace with 16 kills of a total of 221, but research into the records of the Luftwaffe by John Forman and S.E. Harvey in their The Messerschmitt Me 262 Combat Diary would indicate that Bär was number four. There appears to be some controversy regarding the actual scores of these four aces. I also consulted Ernst Obermaier's Die Ritterkreuzträger, Band 1, Jagdflieger, (1966 edition) and Manfred Giehl's German Jets of World War Two.

Erich 16th August 2007 03:26

Re: Top Jet Aces

you can rule out Welters score of even being in the top 4 contenders........

Leo Etgen 16th August 2007 04:51

Top Jet Aces

Hello guys

I have not seen the episode in question but I am sure that what Colonel Epstein meant was that he is the top jet versus jet ace. In regards to Luftwaffe Me 262 aces, due to the fact that late war the claims verification procedure basically broke down, it is impossible to know these aces' jet totals with certainty. Please note that www.luftwaffe.cz/dusen.html has different totals as well. As Erich states, there is much skepticism about Welter's claims.

Horrido!

Leo

Franek Grabowski 16th August 2007 12:58

I think Soviet aces from Korea were still better, were not they?

Nick Beale 16th August 2007 13:51

Technology moves on and I'd guess that the Israeli pilot had all his victories recorded on video (gunsight and/or radar pictures) so the verification process ought to have been more certain than in earlier conflicts at least.

Csaba B. Stenge 16th August 2007 15:53

If you want to compare the claims with the real kills, in my humble opinion, Epstein evidently shot down more planes, than the Soviet pilots, who were credited more, than 17 victories over Korea (Sutyagin and Pepelyayev), since the UN sources shows pretty high overclaiming in the Soviet side.

I guess, many of Epstein's victims were freshly documented with photos and videos as well. Some interesting notes were published from his diary here:
http://www.iaf.org.il/Templates/Kill...=43&lobbyID=40
He mentioned in his diary, that he visited the wreck of the shot down Mi-8 after the war ended and preserved few things from the wreck as souvenirs.

Once he should write a detailed book about his career, it would be a hit for sure.

Graham Boak 16th August 2007 16:15

There was an issue of AVIONS last year(?) covering an 18-kill Russian pilot in Korea, I think it was Pepelyayev. The majority of his kills (perhaps 2/3rds?) were directly matched to US losses, so suggestions of excessive Russian overclaiming doesn't seem to apply there.

And we are to assume that Israeli fighter pilots never overclaim?

Csaba B. Stenge 16th August 2007 18:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Graham Boak (Post 48847)
There was an issue of AVIONS last year(?) covering an 18-kill Russian pilot in Korea, I think it was Pepelyayev. The majority of his kills (perhaps 2/3rds?) were directly matched to US losses, so suggestions of excessive Russian overclaiming doesn't seem to apply there.

And we are to assume that Israeli fighter pilots never overclaim?

I always write, that the overclaiming was very common.

I did not state above, that the Israeli pilots never overclaimed, I stated (as it is my humble opinion), that Epstein shot down more planes, than Sutyagin and Pepelyayev (and my opinion is not based on a single article)

The Soviet pilots overclaimed in Korea, and quite intensively (far more, than the UN pilots). For example, the Soviet MiG pilots claimed more, than 1100 kills (one source even says more, than 1300) This number including more, than 650 Sabres. Ths US sources states, that only 78 Sabre was shot down in air-to-air combat (and the other type losses were much more less, of course, I can present you examples or details, if you want some) If you even count, that some returned and later written off planes were not counted, the 650 is very far from the 78 (and you must know, that some Sabres, which were really lost in air combat, were shot down by Chinese pilots, not by the Soviets, since the Chinese claimed and shot down significant number of planes too, for example probably they shot down George Davis as well).

I have read an article once about Pepelyayev, the author has some - I must say - childish efforts to synchronize Pepelyayev's claims with the real losses of the US planes. He neglected the other Soviet pilot's claims (i.e. if in a single engagement the Soviets claimed 4-5 or more kills, and it was one real loss, according to him it was shot down 'evidently' by Pepelyayev, he counted 5-6 losses, which were marked as AA hits by US sources as 'erroneous', 'evidently all were shot down by Pepelyayev' and even in this method, he found 4-5 pure overclaims) I have many detailed US loss materials from Korean war (BTW the Korean war loss database are available via online too, check here:
http://www.dtic.mil/dpmo/pmkor/korwald.htm

I checked nearly all of Pepelyayev's claims in my materials and found overclaims and just damaged planes too (and events, when too many claims agains a few loss, as said above)

Evidently, both Sutyagin and Pepelyayev were very good pilots, but both shot down in real less planes, than for example McConnell, or Epstein. I don't have Egyptian loss materials, but the Istraeli Air Force evidently investigated his claims and you must be sure, that the Israeli successes were not produced by their propaganda, but by their pilots...

Franek Grabowski 16th August 2007 20:40

Csaba, Soviet pilots were credited with 20+ kills and that makes them top scorers. We do not know anything about Israeli operations as it is paranoic secret minded state and did reveal practically nothing from their past. Epstein's score may be true, may be partially true or even may be a complete bogus made for propaganda purposes.

Graham Boak 16th August 2007 21:21

A few points to bear in mind.

Whatever was claimed as total scores by the propaganda/publicity machines may bear little relationship to the claims made by individual pilots, or even the sum of such claims.

The leader, such as Peplyayev, usually scores most of the kills. Such claims are normally more creditable than those made by pilots "in the pack".

The total of 78 Sabres lost in aerial combat has been queried by recent serious historians: it seems that the USAF was not beyond selective categorising.

Not every UN aircraft over Korea was a Sabre.

My point about the Israeli, and he could have been of any nation, was that a claim of 17 was not "evidently" more accurate than a Russian pilot's claim of 18. Perhaps it is more accurate: but your terminology implies bringing the conclusion to the discussion in advance.

Csaba B. Stenge 16th August 2007 22:09

Franek,

Were can you see, that I said, they don't? Sutyagin was the most succesful jet vs jet pilot for sure with 21 confirmed kills (but as I said, in my humble opinion, only on paper). I always differentiate between the claims and the real air victories (since claiming a hostile plane is one thing, shot it down in real - it is one another).

Regarding the Israeli claims and their reliability: I don't have details from Egypt, but do have some from Syria and - to me, not surprisingly - they admit their losses generally and confirm the Israeli claims. Why would it be different relating to Egypt?

Franek Grabowski 16th August 2007 22:27

Csaba, there is always a difference between a claim, a credited victory and a what had actually happenned. The latter in most cases is a mystery known only to God. Sutyagin was officially credited with 21 kills (at least as far as we know), and his claims could have been even higher.
When we compare scores of Frantisek, Gabreski, Johnson or Skalski, we discuss what was officially credited to them. It is beyond our possibility to get through their results and to answer with any certainity, what they have had actually hit.
Adding to the above, we know nothing on official victory credits of Israeli AF, nor their losses and our knowledge on their opponents is similarly limited. Modern video verification methods are certainly an improvement over previous techniques, but still they are not perfect and I would not rely that much on them, especially as so little was released.

Juha 16th August 2007 22:30

Graham
here is JoeB's analysis on Nikolai Sutyagin's claims during Korean War: http://www.acepilots.com/smf/index.php?topic=79

Joe visits also here and on WarBirds forum and have wrote more on Soviets' claims in Korea on these forums, by searching his messages from these boards You'll find more on Joe's research on Soviets claim accuracy.

Cheers
Juha

Kutscha 16th August 2007 23:34

More by Joe B
http://www.acepilots.com/discussions/sutyagin.html

sirbob 16th August 2007 23:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Franek Grabowski (Post 48899)
Csaba, there is always a difference between a claim, a credited victory and a what had actually happenned. The latter in most cases is a mystery known only to God. .............When we compare scores ........... we discuss what was officially credited to them. It is beyond our possibility to get through their results and to answer with any certainity, what they have had actually hit.

There are two points that I would like to make here.
Firstly I agree 100% with the above quotation. I am not a flyer but I have fired a rifle a few times and I can assure everyone that after a fight involving more than two people nobody knows for sure what happened. You shoot at someone and he goes down and you move on, but when the battle is over and you go back there is nothing, or perhaps evidence he was hit but got away for now at least, and if there is a body at least one other person will also claim to have shot him. I imagine it would be similar in a dogfight : unless there are only two planes in the sky and one crashes and burns any story about who did what is very suspect.

Which brings me to my second point. I have no idea how many "kills" I made. Nor do I care. Each time that I was able to stretch the ache out of my joints in the chill of a morning was a victory; over 300 of them a year which gives me a good "score" if they are to be counted.
Put yourself in the shoes of a Luftwaffe fighter pilot in 1944, taking off every day to face an armada of B-17's and swarms of P47's and P51's. If he can stop a bomber reaching a city it must be rewarding, but he would be well aware that the industrial might of America will send even more again tomorow, and the next day, and the next.............. Such a man, putting his life on the line every day for his country, should be highly regarded whatever "score" a proppaganda machine awards him.
The only score that matters when you are fighting a war is the final score of " us 1 - them 0 ". All else is vanity.

Jim Oxley 16th August 2007 23:59

The USAF lost just under 3,600 aircraft over Korea to all combat related causes. Approximately 1,400 at attributed to AAA, the balance to other causes including air combat.

Note that the above figure does not include USN, USMC and other Allied units losses.

JoeB 19th August 2007 05:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Graham Boak (Post 48884)
A few points to bear in mind.
1. Whatever was claimed as total scores by the propaganda/publicity machines may bear little relationship to the claims made by individual pilots, or even the sum of such claims.

2. The total of 78 Sabres lost in aerial combat has been queried by recent serious historians: it seems that the USAF was not beyond selective categorising.

3. Not every UN aircraft over Korea was a Sabre.

1. In the case of the Soviets in Korea, the victories are what was officially credited at the time in secret. There was no propaganda motive, in the strict sense of the term, in that case.
2. I found, by going through the records case by case, in view of specific Soviet claims, that while 78 is a sloppy total, the true number is not greatly higher, I estimate around 90, including damaged planes were which never repaired. Among potentially more serious people, Ken Werrell in a footnote to "Sabres over MiG Alley" estimated 'around 100'; Warren Thompson and David McLaren in "MiG Alley" gave an appendix where apparent MiG losses were in the mid 70's, and somebody above gave a link to the DPMO database that adds to high 70's (not counting 'damaged'; the DPMO listing of damaged F-86's is very incomplete, but happens to consist almost entirely of planes that were repaired). I'd defend my number in detail over those others, but the point is nobody AFAIK has been serious to the point of actually looking in USAF records and found evidence of a much higher number than 78.
3. The Soviet claims are clear as to type, time and place. I have found no case where F-86's were confused for any other type. That is, in every case I know where the Soviets claimed F-86's downed, USAF records show an encounter by F-86s against MiG's at a reasonably matching time and place. Same for other generic types (straight wing jet, prop fighter, B-29), although within those categories the idenfications were not reliable (ie. claims of F-80's match real combats with F-84's etc). In any case even considering all types, the 'real' number of UN air combat losses is higher than that in the official immediate postwar summary (the USAF FY 1953 Statistics Summary is where almost all the oft repeated numbers come from originally), but not by that much (~proportional to F-86's ~150 official, perhaps 175 actual).

For the Soviets in Korea, and Me-262 pilots, the opposing losses are known in detail day to day, though there's still the issue of how to deal with competing claiming on the ace's own side. In case of the USAF in Korea and Israel's wars the opponent losses aren't generally known day to day. Soviet losses in Korea generally are, but Chinese and NK generally not and all top US ace scores included victories after the Chinese and NK's became a significant part of the MiG force (fall 1951); only total Chinese losses have been officially published, and NK total losses are only approximately known (to have been fairly small).

Joe

Franek Grabowski 19th August 2007 14:15

Joe, by the way, do you have a full list of Soviet victories (read it claims if you wish) in Korea?

Csaba B. Stenge 21st August 2007 09:57

BTW another notable performance: the most succesful F-14 pilot of the Iranian Air Force, Major Jalal Zandi scored nine confirmed air victories against Iraqi jets (two MiG-23'BNs and two Su-22'Ms the others were fighters) Altough there were overclaims in the Iraqi-Iranian war (and false reports by propaganda), he was the most succesful jet pilot of the last three decades.

NickM 22nd August 2007 07:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Csaba Becze (Post 49199)
BTW another notable performance: the most succesful F-14 pilot of the Iranian Air Force, Major Jalal Zandi scored nine confirmed air victories against Iraqi jets (two MiG-23'BNs and two Su-22'Ms the others were fighters) Altough there were overclaims in the Iraqi-Iranian war (and false reports by propaganda), he was the most succesful jet pilot of the last three decades.

Well the war was nearly a decade long & both sides used Airpower extensively--Iraq probably MORE so given they had a steady source of planes & spare parts--which Iran probably didn't have QUITE as much; I guess you could say the Good Major had a 'target rich environment'

NM

Csaba B. Stenge 22nd August 2007 11:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by NickM (Post 49256)
Well the war was nearly a decade long & both sides used Airpower extensively--Iraq probably MORE so given they had a steady source of planes & spare parts--which Iran probably didn't have QUITE as much; I guess you could say the Good Major had a 'target rich environment'

NM

If you have your own opinion, just write it, but do not say, what should I write.

After the Iraqi-Iranian war, many fellows said (without much available details), that the 'less-qualified' (or in even rude terms: stupid/dumb etc) Iranians were not able to maintain the power of their air force, especially the US types, so they scored nothing. When some more info become available, this opinon turned to be somehing different: scoring air victories with an F-14? Big deal...

Well, during the earlier conflicts and world wars, there were many easy pickings as well, as some of the Iranian F-14 air victories. The Iranian F-14's had some easy kills, of course (the powerful radar and weapon system of the F-14 caused a row of simply 'brutal' air victories, when the Iraqi pilots even didn't know, what happened with them, since the F-14's attacked them from very long distance, from over 50 km)
But the air war was not one-sided, Iraq got much more help from abroad (not just materials, but some help for better training and tactic for their pilots) The air fights were intensive just in periods of the war, so claiming a row of victories were not as easy (and after the first bad experiences, the Iraqi pilots many times tried to avoid the clashes with the F-14's)

I don't think, that 9 jet air victory is only to me a notable performance.

BTW the Iranians had even a pilot, who scored 5 confirmed kills with an F-5, which is very far from the F-14's performance (that particular pilot shot down the most succesful Iraqi pilot, who flew a MiG-25...)

NickM 23rd August 2007 06:24

Csaba:

I think you mis-understood me; I wasn't trying to denigrate your information, I was only observing that Iraq-Iran War was a rarity in modern age: a long term war of attrition between two conventional armies that featured an extensive air-war component;

Sorry for the misunderstanding;

NM

Csaba B. Stenge 23rd August 2007 08:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by NickM (Post 49332)
Csaba:

I think you mis-understood me; I wasn't trying to denigrate your information, I was only observing that Iraq-Iran War was a rarity in modern age: a long term war of attrition between two conventional armies that featured an extensive air-war component;

Sorry for the misunderstanding;

NM

Nick,

Sorry for the misunderstanding. I hope, once every details will be available from the Iranian F-14's - it is a great plane and was really succesful during that conflict.

NickM 23rd August 2007 15:40

Csaba:

I'm wondering: Might you have the dates and details of the aerial vics that Iranian F-14 pilot is credited?

Also, I have seen a book, a while back about the Air War during the Iraq/Iran war...I forgot the actual title AND the authors names but what little I read when I leafed through it seemed quite high quality....

NM

Csaba B. Stenge 23rd August 2007 20:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by NickM (Post 49355)
Csaba:

I'm wondering: Might you have the dates and details of the aerial vics that Iranian F-14 pilot is credited?

Also, I have seen a book, a while back about the Air War during the Iraq/Iran war...I forgot the actual title AND the authors names but what little I read when I leafed through it seemed quite high quality....

NM

Nick,

the asked book is:
Farzad Bishop-Tom Cooper
Iran-Iraq war in the air 1980-1988
It was published by the Schiffer in 2002

The acig site contains the known Iranian air to air claims as well:
http://www.acig.org/artman/publish/article_210.shtml
http://www.acig.org/artman/publish/article_211.shtml

knusel 17th May 2019 19:44

Good evening Gentlemen,

a combination the Me 262 top ace lists of Morgan/Weal and Kacha looks like this:

top Me 262 aces
rank/name/Me 262 score(total)
1. Welter 27(63)
2. Eder 24(78)
3. Schall 17(137)
4. Bär 16(221)
5. Rademacher 16(97)
6. Rudorffer 12(224)
7. Buchner 12(58)
8. Schnörrer 11(46)
9. Stehle 11(26)
10. Weber 10(13)
Only Welter and Eder have more jet claims than the top MiG aces Sutyagin (22) and Pepelyaev (19).

Michael

Nick Hector 18th May 2019 06:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by knusel (Post 269373)
Good evening Gentlemen,

a combination the Me 262 top ace lists of Morgan/Weal and Kacha looks like this:

top Me 262 aces
rank/name/Me 262 score(total)
1. Welter 27(63)
2. Eder 24(78)
3. Schall 17(137)
4. Bär 16(221)
5. Rademacher 16(97)
6. Rudorffer 12(224)
7. Buchner 12(58)
8. Schnörrer 11(46)
9. Stehle 11(26)
10. Weber 10(13)
Only Welter and Eder have more jet claims than the top MiG aces Sutyagin (22) and Pepelyaev (19).

Michael

But the very second post in this thread de-bunks all that. It was an entered an entire 12 years ago. These "Top Aces" lists really teach us nothing

knusel 18th May 2019 09:33

Post a list that tells us everything.

Nick Hector 18th May 2019 11:36

As stated previously: These "Top Aces" lists really teach us nothing.

The worship of numbers written next to men's names is something aviation history moved on from the day we were able to compare both sides' records.

knusel 18th May 2019 12:28

You as usual: quick in debasing others, unable to provide anything that's better.

Nick Hector 18th May 2019 14:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by knusel (Post 269419)
You as usual: quick in debasing others, unable to provide anything that's better.

Debasing others....?
Pffft. That's been you since your very first thread...
...what happened to that again? Oh that's right, it got closed down and so did so many others that you originated because you try (...and fail miserably...) to get clever with people.

1000+ posts of sheer uselessness later and you still haven't learned.

Great effort.

Nick Beale 18th May 2019 17:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by knusel (Post 269419)

I suggest you look again at your own post #28 before complaining about dismissive responses. In all your time on this forum you have never provided “anything that’s better”, have you? That leaves you ill-placed to be lecturing others.

Nick Hector 18th May 2019 17:33

Something that's better:

3rd claim 3.10.43/2229 Halifax V SW of Hessen or Kassel @ 4000m Possibly EB214/NA-S of 428 sqn RCAF. Sgt K A B McArthur and one other KIA, remaining six crewmen all POW. Attributed to flak by British sources

4th claim 3.10.43/2241 Halifax ENE of Hessen or Kassel @ 4000m Possibly LE269 of 77 sqn. Sgt. F J A Bailey and crew all KIA

10th claim 6.1.44/0411 Lancaster III ("Viermot") W of Stettin Possibly ND324/PH-E of 12 sqn. F/O W Kroeker RCAF and crew all interned in Sweden (forcelanded at Kalmar)

12th claim 20.2.44/0327 Lancaster III Berlin @ 6500m Possibly DV220/AS-J of 166 sqn. F/S Francis Frederick George Allan RCAF and two others KIA, remaining four crewmen all POW

16th claim 26.8.44/0038 Mosquito Nienburg area (PQ FF) @ 9500m Cannot find an attributable loss, likely overclaiming

18th claim 18.7.44/1047 P-51C-10-NT Mustang Fuessen area (PQ 14 Ost N/FB) @ 7000m 12th or 15th AAF. Was this 42-103947 of 301st FS, 332nd FG (Tuskegee Airmen)? - Lost SW of Muenchen, in combat with Fw190s so the location and type of German aircraft is correct

19th claim 18.7.44/1055 P-51B-5 Mustang Schongau area @ 4500m Said to be 43-6854 of 308th FS, 31st FG. Pilot seen to bale out but parachute failed, KIA

24th claim 30.8.44/0205 Lancaster Stettin area (PQ CJ-BJ) @ 4800m Believed to be overclaiming as the claim was rejected

25th claim 30.8.44/0210 Lancaster Stettin area (PQ CJ-BJ) @ 3900m Possibly PD273 of 12 sqn, PB365 of 103 sqn, PD261 of 166 sqn or PB131 of 115sqn

26th claim 30.8.44/0212 Lancaster Stettin area (PQ CJ-BJ) @ 4800m Possibly PD273 of 12 sqn, PB365 of 103 sqn, PD261 of 166 sqn or PB131 of 115sqn

27th claim 30.8.44/0215 Lancaster Stettin area (PQ CJ-BJ) @ 4800m Believed to be overclaiming as the claim was rejected
28th claim 11.9.44/2258 Mosquito XX PQ FG-4 @ 8000m KB227/XD- of 139 "Jamaica" sqn. F/L J A F Halcro and F/L T J Martin (both RCAF) both KIA

29th claim 12.9.44/2316 Mosquito XVI Hopsten-Bramsche [or Berlin?] (PQ GG 2-3) @ 8300m Possibly MM127/8K- of 571 sqn. Damaged (by Flak according to British sources) and abandoned off East Anglia coast, F/O N J Griffiths and F/O W Ball both apparently safe
(Ofw. Walter Baltruschat also submitted TWO claims for Mosquitoes but this is the ONLY attributable loss…)

31st claim 13.9.44/1742 Mosquito Salzwedel (PQ 15 Ost S/EC-4) @ 5000m Was this Mk XVI MM280 of 140 sqn? F/L C T Butt and F/S F R J Richardson. Initially damaged by a Bf109, later collided with another (which they claimed destroyed) yet returned safely

32nd claim 16.9.44/0203 Mosquito XX S of Berlin (PQ 15 Ost S/GG-2) @ 8500m KB239/6T-G of 608 sqn. F/L B H Smith RCAF and Sgt. L F Pegg both KIA

33rd claim 16.9.44/0230 Mosquito FB VI N of Achmer/Gardelegen (PQ 15 Ost S/GC-FB) @ 8500m PZ184/3P- of 515 sqn, S/L C Best DFC and F/S H Dickinson KIA.

34th claim 18.9.44/2305 Mosquito FB VI Lune-Jueterbog/Jueterbog-Bergwitz/N of Wittenberg (PQ HJ-JF) @ 8000m Probably PZ177/YP-A of 23 sqn. F/O K Eastwood and F/L G G Rogers both KIA

Unconfirmed? Claim 19/20.9.44 Mosquito Only traceable loss of a Mosquito this night was KB267/AZ-E of 627 sqn. W/C Guy P Gibson VC, DFC & DSO and S/L J B Warwick DFC both KIA (ACTUALLY DUE TO FRIENDLY FIRE)

Unconfirmed? Claim 27/28.9.44 Mosquito Wreck may have been found by German authorities, 9km E of Hoogeven (29km E of Meppel)

35th claim 6.10.44/2030 Mosquito XVI Berlin @ 8000m Possibly MM113/8K-G of 571 sqn. F/L G W McCallum and Sgt. L W Claydon both POW (Both Czypionka and Schmid also claimed but this is the only attributable loss)

36th claim 28.10.44/0120 Mosquito N of Berlin/10km W of Bernau (PQ FG-3) @ 8000m Cannot find an attributable loss, likely overclaiming

37th claim 11/12.12.44 Mosquito XVI Possibly MM190/M5-O of 128 sqn. F/L Ronald Charles Onley and F/O George Barrowby Collins RAAF both KIA

2/3.1.45 Mosquito XX Possibly KB222/XD-R of 139 "Jamaica" sqn, F/L J P O Howard DFC RCAF and F/L D G Williams DFC both KIA

5.1.45 Mosquito PR XVI Possibly ML942 of 571 sqn, F/O F L Henry RNZAF and F/S R A Stinson RAAF, baled out over own territory

10.1.45 Mosquito Cannot find an attributable loss, likely overclaiming

21/22.2.45 Mosquito Cannot find an attributable loss, likely overclaiming

21/22.2.45 Mosquito Cannot find an attributable loss, likely overclaiming

22.2.45/1300 Mosquito Cannot find an attributable loss, likely overclaiming

22.2.45/1300 Mosquito Cannot find an attributable loss, likely overclaiming

2/3.3.45 Mosquito Cannot find an attributable loss, likely overclaiming

2/3.3.45 Mosquito Cannot find an attributable loss, likely overclaiming

6/7.3.45 Mosquito Cannot find an attributable loss, likely overclaiming

6/7.3.45 Mosquito Cannot find an attributable loss, likely overclaiming

17/18.3.45 Mosquito Cannot find an attributable loss, likely overclaiming

17/18.3.45 Mosquito Cannot find an attributable loss, likely overclaiming

21.3.45 Mosquito Cannot find an attributable loss, likely overclaiming

21.3.45 Mosquito Cannot find an attributable loss, likely overclaiming
24/25.3.45 Mosquito Cannot find an attributable loss, likely overclaiming

27/28.3.45 Mosquito Cannot find an attributable loss, likely overclaiming

30/31.3.45 Mosquito Overclaiming, only one loss attributable: Mk XVI RV341/P3-B of 692 sqn. F/S W Campey and F/S J Rabiner RCAF both KIA

30/31.3.45 Mosquito Overclaiming, only one loss attributable: Mk XVI RV341/P3-B of 692 sqn. F/S W Campey and F/S J Rabiner RCAF both KIA

10.4.45 Mosquito Cannot find an attributable loss, likely overclaiming

11.4.45 Mosquito Cannot find an attributable loss, likely overclaiming

13.4.45 Mosquito Cannot find an attributable loss, likely overclaiming

14.4.45 Mosquito 608 sqn, F/O George Nunn and P/O Harry S T Harris, uninjured, aircraft only damaged

15.4.45 Mosquito Cannot find an attributable loss, likely overclaiming

18.4.45 Mosquito Was this one of the two 219 sqn machines lost this night? MM733/Z of F/O A C J Petrisse and F/O M H J Laloux both Belgian and both KIA plus NT380 of F/O R L Young KIA and F/O N G Fazan safe

knusel 18th May 2019 21:27

That's not better.

Nick Beale 18th May 2019 21:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by knusel (Post 269442)
That's not better.

Since your contributions to this forum so far amount to precisely zero, you are in no position to criticise the researchers on whose work you remain content to feed. Learn some manners before you even think of posting again.

knusel 18th May 2019 22:01

Researchers on whose work I feed are great characters like the mentioned Hugh Morgan, John Weal and Petr Kacha. Also Johannes Mathews, Andrew Thomas and Many Souffan.
I never gained anything that was of interest for me from you or the other Nick.

Nick Hector 18th May 2019 22:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by knusel (Post 269446)
Researchers on whose work I feed are great characters like the mentioned Hugh Morgan, John Weal and Petr Kacha. Also Johannes Mathews, Andrew Thomas and Many Souffan.
I never gained anything that was of interest for me from you or the other Nick.

The smarter you try to be, the funnier you end up being.

Have a look at the acknowledgements section of Petr Kacha's outdated, frozen-in-time page. I made quite a few contributions to it back before Petr stopped updating it so long ago. I'm also the first to tell you that it is way out of date.

1. Welter 27(63)
2. Eder 24(78)
3. Schall 17(137)
4. Bär 16(221)
5. Rademacher 16(97)
6. Rudorffer 12(224)
7. Buchner 12(58)
8. Schnörrer 11(46)
9. Stehle 11(26)
10. Weber 10(13)

...that's not even valid any more. Happy suspension, Knusel.

knusel 19th June 2019 08:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Franek Grabowski (Post 49090)
Joe, by the way, do you have a full list of Soviet victories (read it claims if you wish) in Korea?

Good morning Franek,

you find an appealing list about the scores of Soviet Korean War Aces here:
https://www.amazon.de/Soviet-MiG-15-...gateway&sr=8-1
I don't know if a full list of Soviet Korean War kills exists.

Michael

knusel 15th May 2021 21:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Csaba B. Stenge (Post 49199)

Has there ever been an official ace list issued by the Iraninan authorities ?