Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum

Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/index.php)
-   Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   lost Ju 87 of SG 2 in December, 1944 over Hungary (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/showthread.php?t=13690)

Csaba B. Stenge 5th July 2008 08:45

lost Ju 87 of SG 2 in December, 1944 over Hungary

Gentlemen,

Several friends just identified a German Ju 87 crashing place in Hungary, not far from Bicske.
It must be a Ju 87 D-5 from 7./SG 2 namely the WNr. 140288 T6+NR which was shot down by Soviet fighters on 24 December, 1944 and the crew was reported as missing.
Anyone have the names of crewmembers?
According to the eyewitnesses, the aircraft hit some trees while emergency landing and one crewmember incinerated with the plane (most probably the pilot) The other member (presumably the wireless operator) baled out and survived, but it is not sure, that he managed to return to his unit (it is possible that he was killed or captured on the ground soon after, when Soviet troops occupied this area).

Any information about the crew would be greatly appreciated.

TIA,

phil 5th July 2008 08:59

Re: lost Ju 87 of SG 2 in December, 1944 over Hungary

hello,
I would like to react on your inquery please contact me off board
junkers@londoner.zzn.com

C.Moeller 5th July 2008 10:25

Hello Csaba,

hope you are well.
So, here is what I have on this incident:

7./SG 2
area South of Bicske (Pl.Qu. 8861)
Feindflug
combat mission
feindlicher Beschuß
shot at by enemy
Nach Angriff mit Rauchfahne auf eigenes Gebiet abgeflogen, von einer russischen Lagg 3 verfolgt.
After attack flew with a trail of smoke in the direction of own territory, pursued by a Russian Lagg 3.
Ju 87 D-5, 140288, T6+NR, 100%
pilot Uffz. Josef Kias
gunner Uffz. Werner Kawalski
both reported missing in action

Sorry, I have no more info.
Hope that helps?

Best regards,

Christian

Dr. Christian Möller
www.nachtschlacht.de
www.nachtschlacht.com

Csaba B. Stenge 5th July 2008 10:56

Hello Christian,

Thank you, excellent. Perhaps the baled out crewmember was captured or killed on the same day by Soviet ground troops: 3. Ukrainian Fronts large offensive to encircle Budapest reached and occupied this area on the same day (on 24th December).

Anyway, the eyewitnesses said about the survivor, that Soviet fighters attempted to strafe and kill him on parachute but he managed to land and escaped among the trees. Perhaps only for few hours? I'll try to ask more from the eyewitnesses about his possible fate (perhaps he left the area soon and tried to return to his unit but without a proper vehicle, it was not so easy)