Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum

Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/index.php)
-   Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Need info 2/KG76 pilot Uffz Hanke, his a/c & crew of Do17Z badly damaged during 15.9.40 attack on London (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/showthread.php?t=31372)

Larry Hickey 8th October 2012 20:58

Need info 2/KG76 pilot Uffz Hanke, his a/c & crew of Do17Z badly damaged during 15.9.40 attack on London

Hello,

In the photo section of Alfred Price's excellent book, "Battle of Britain Day: 15 September 1940," is a photo of BO Uffz Theodor Rehm and crew photographed after return to Beauvais following noon attack on London. Plane reportedly had 47 bullet hits.

We have this incident in our EoE Luft Loss DB as:

"September 15, 1940: 2./KG76 Dornier Do17Z. Returned damaged by fighters during sortie to London Docks 12.15 p.m. and landed with port main wheel punctured. FF Uffz [ ] Hanke, BO Uffz Theodor Rehm and rest of crew believed unhurt. Aircraft damage state not recorded. (Price)

My questions:

a) Can anyone supply the first name of Uffz Hanke?

b) Can anyone identify there other members of the crew besides Uffz Rehm in the photo in the book? I presume that Hanke is one of the four men pictured.

c) Can anyone supply the W.Nr. and a/c code of Hanke's Do17Z that day?

d) Can anyone supply photos of this a/c during its service with the unit or after it was damaged in this incident?

Any help here would be appreciated.

Regards,

Larry Hickey
EoE Project Coordinator

Chris Goss 8th October 2012 22:28

Re: Need info 2/KG76 pilot Uffz Hanke, his a/c & crew of Do17Z badly damaged during 15.9.40 attack on London

I have Rehm's KG 76 loss list and Hanke's christian name is not listed, albeit it is not mentioned on 15 Sep 40 but 18 Aug 40. There was a Georg Hanke on 6/KG 76 though

Larry Hickey 8th October 2012 23:17

Re: Need info 2/KG76 pilot Uffz Hanke, his a/c & crew of Do17Z badly damaged during 15.9.40 attack on London

Chris,

What is "Rehm's KG76 loss list" Is that an NVM or some other kind of documentation? Are the other crewmen listed, plane code or W.Nr., or any details of the mission? If so, I'd certainly appreciate at copy.

Georg Hanke sounds like a serious prospect for "Hanke." Was an an Uffz?

Regards,

Larry Hickey
EoE Project Coordinator

Chris Goss 9th October 2012 07:52

Rehm was in charge if the KG 76 Association & produced a personnel loss list for operations over UK. It listed names not ac details & must have been produced via WASt. I have seen no other list for any other campaign. Hanke was a Fw in 1942

Larry Hickey 9th October 2012 08:43

Chris,

Thanx. Any idea whether a history of KG76 is in the works by anyone?

Regards,

Larry Hickey
EoE Project Coordinator

Chris Goss 9th October 2012 08:56

I think it was Rehm's intention but he is no longer with us. I will be picking up material from Alfred Price next week so maybe there is something there-I will tell you

Spanferkel 10th October 2012 00:12

All -

Georg Hanke was an Unteroffizier in September of 1940 however I have him attached to the Ergangzung Staffel Kampfgeschwader 76 on the date in question.

Could he have been temporarily attached to 2 Staffel? Also if you have a photo of the crew I may be able to confirm Hanke (Georg) in the picture.

My information comes from Georg Hankes Wehrpas.

Regards
Jeremy

Spanferkel 10th October 2012 00:21

I found the photo of Rehm's and his crew on Amazon. The photo is not really that clear but the flyer on the left could very well be Georg Hanke.

Hanke appeared to have somewhat unruly hair and I have shots of his feldmutze propped on his head and sticking out slightly on the sides similar to the flyer on the left.

Below is a link to my website illustrating the beginning of my research on Hanke. If this proves to be Georg Hanke this is a great piece of information!!

http://aufhimmelzuhause.com/id143.htm

Regards
Jeremy

Chris Goss 18th October 2012 08:12

I now have photos of KG 76 on 15 sep 40. Hanke' s ac was EK & I have photos of Figge' s JK in a field 8 km nw of Poix

Larry Hickey 18th October 2012 08:29

Chris,

Great news; I assume this is the result of your AP project. Does any of the data with this give Hanke's first name? Georg? I appreciate the more precise location for Figge's FL.

Regards,

Larry Hickey
EoE Project Coordinator