Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum

Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/index.php)
-   Pre-WW2 Military and Naval Aviation (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Jasta question (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/showthread.php?t=10824)

Kutscha 15th November 2007 12:33

Jasta question

Late war Jastas got special paint jobs/designs for their a/c's tail areas.

What was the date this began and is their an online source showing the colors/designs for the Jastas?

Ruy Horta 15th November 2007 20:45

Re: Jasta question

IIRC this wasn't something official, so does your question refer to the first use?

Kutscha 15th November 2007 23:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruy Horta (Post 54173)
IIRC this wasn't something official, so does your question refer to the first use?

Didn't think it was official but was used as an ID feature, right?

It would be nice to know when it became wide spread usage and which Jasta the practice began with.

Pilot 21st November 2007 14:26

Every jasta have its own color. This color or shapew was applied on tail, fuselage or where it is dedicated. One note that used in late practice is that Jasta leader painted top wing in the Jasta color. This notes about painting was directed by Idflieg. I have a lot of images of various jasta and to give precise answer we should go from unit to unit.

Kutscha 21st November 2007 14:51

Thanks Pilot.:)

Yes I know each jasta had its own colors and design. Did not know the fact about the jasta leaders a/c.

Did the Idflieg directives come before or after some a/c of jasta had special colors/designs? I have the impression that it was thought to be a good idea and should be used by all fighters.

Do you have a date?

I have most of the Windsock publications which show many of the colors and designs.

Pilot 21st November 2007 15:10

Huuuhhh- a week ago I have tryed to manage one folder with German WW1 airplanes but failed as well there are so many material and worst at all most material dispered over the whole hard drive. But for sure I remember that I have somewhere data from Idflieg document about the tail recongition. This is as I know from early 1917 and in that time they give directive to switch from brown/green camouflage to the purple/green camouflage to avoid confusion with enemy aircrafts and this unit matkings are part of the large amount of directives.

They also manages some special works like the aircraft for the pilots. For excample last aircraft flown by manfred von Richhofen were possibly specialy painted red as well on the excamined fabric was not found traces of the streaky camouflage but only coats of protective dope and blue color as well topside red. And this was made in factory possibly...

Will try to find it and post it here but I can not promise that this will be done fast.

Kutscha 23rd November 2007 12:38

No rush Pilot. When you get around to doing so. Thanks

fsbofk 12th January 2008 04:33

Windsock's 3 volume Fokker D.VII Anthology series provides a good guide to the late war Jastas that flew the DVII, which will be the lion's share of the Jastas.