View Single Post
Old 8th September 2010, 10:17

Many Souffan is on a distinguished road
Re: 341 Sqn Spitfire NL-H serial?

Hello.

I can confirm from an original combat report it is indeed H as it is written in personal combat report that you can find at Kew (Air 50/407)

But in the Log book of Martell at the date of 14 may 1943 Martell made a test flight and a mission who he claimed a Fw 190 on.... NL-C

In the other side in my different discussions with Pierre Clostermann between 1998 and dec 2005, he told me that he flew in may 43 on NL-B, NL-A and NL-C specially the 11 may during the Circus 295 leaded by J E Johnson at the return he made a not good (he said a special) landing.

After that Martell was not happy and asked to him to make, the same day, 2 flights of aerobatics on Spit Mk V that he did and to give him 5 days for leave. Clostermann stayed in the base.

During these 5 days he made some local flights and finished 1 or 2 articles for Flight magazine on the grass of the dispersal that he told me

He remembered also during these five days off ,the test of his plane (NL-C) with Martell, and the same day the return of Martell with the first victory 341 Sqn. Alsace. Clostermann told me that he was so happy that he wrote a wrong date in his log book: " le 13 le cap. Martell obtient la première victoire du squadron"

With this victory Martell keep as his personal kite the NL-C ( during May, June and little July) and Clostermann a new NL-B. (not BS538 the first one, ex 340 Sqn./GW.K damaged the 5 may 1943 by Pierre Laurent)

To answer about the serial of the kite of Martell for this 14 may 1943, I don't know.

thank you

(33) 661 406 013

many.souffan@gmail.com