View Single Post
Old 30th January 2011, 09:57
He who rules the forum...

Ruy Horta has disabled reputation
Re: Twelve O'clock High!

Perhaps anti-war is the wrong way to describe what is in effect a more thoughtful stand on war, as opposed to the glorification of war or the more common glorifying of the hero (or the glorification of violent action, which seems to be a theme in many modern action movies).

Twelve O'clock High! was surprisingly sophisticated for its time and stands out because of this extra quality. It is a shame that today most TV companies seem to prefer to air modern B- and C- rated (TV) movies over cinema classics. It was in the 70-ies and 80-ies that I saw most of the classics and unfortunately I was either too young for much of that time or it is now too long ago to remember the details. I'd love to see those classics again with today's eyes, what **new** drama and excellence to discover.

...and don't start me on coloring B&W movies and footage, which I find almost as hard to stomach as the current "docu-kitch" produced by Discovery and History, which is based on a lot of reenactment and little (quality) narrative.

Perhaps it is easy to romanticize the past, which I don't, but I often think we are becoming less sophisticated (read dumb) instead of the other way around, by rule of the lowest common denominator.

Sorry for the OT-ish rant

Welcome to TOCH!

And now I see with eye serene
The very pulse of the machine;
A being breathing thoughtful breath,
A traveller between life and death;