View Single Post
Old 11th April 2011, 10:04
Alter Hase

Andy Saunders is on a distinguished road
Re: Can you identify a german aircraft by its main engine data plate??

In theory you might be able to, if the wreck was inspected by RAF Air Intelligence. In theory, then you could find the aircraft identity by working back from there. But it would mean trawling through a great many AI(g) reports. This is because RAF Intelligence officers generally noted the engine numbers when they found them. However, in your case one assumes that the engine was buried and thus the RAF Intelligence officer would have never found the number. In any event, you say you have the plate with the number, although it is the case that the engine numbers were repeated elsewhere (eg painted in white on the crankcase) and so, again in theory, that number could have been reported and noted somewhere. However, you are probably on a hiding to nothing sadly. In any case, I have to say that the plate you have (whilst related to a Jumo 211) does not sound like the main engine plate to me. I would have expected a much longer engine number than any of the numbers you quote. Can you post a scan or photo?

Luftwaffe reports mostly had the aircraft Werke Nummer, but never the engine numbers as far as I'm aware.

I don't think your chances are very high.