View Single Post
Old 14th December 2011, 17:42
Alter Hase

Leo Etgen will become famous soon enough
Any German NF-claims on Lancs over Spessart-area?

Hello Norbert

Thank you for clarifying which was the second aircraft. Once again nothing appears in the claims list included in the Boiten and Mackenzie book although as I mentioned previously out of 26 claims listed the time and/or location of these is included for 11 claims thus leaving considerable fuzziness in the events of that night in terms of matching claims to victims. Among claims with no time or location that is listed are three Lancaster claims by Oberstleutnant Walter Borchers of Stab/NJG 5, three Halifax claims by Hauptmann Werner Hopf of 8./NJG 5, two Halifax claims by Oberleutnant Hans-Heinrich Breitfeldt of 9./NJG 5 and two Lancaster claims by Oberleutnant Kurt Welter of Kommando Welter. As an aside I noticed in RAF Bomber Command Losses by Chorley that Lancaster I (PD309) "UL-W2" of 576 Sqn, RAF flown by F/O CR Pegg was abandoned by its crew near Brussels after a reported engagement with two jet fighters one of which the crew reported may have been shot down. Could this have been one of Welter's victims? It is interesting to speculate.

Horrido!

Leo