View Single Post
Old 22nd December 2011, 02:27
Alter Hase

Larry Hickey
Seeking date and specific location of FL by Ju87B T6+EP of 6./StG2 on hillside above Moselle River near Trier, Germany, winter 1939-40

Hello,

1) Can anyone provide a specific location of this force-landed Ju87B-1, T6+EP, of 6./StG2, which apparently set down on a hillside above the Moselle River. Photo captions say this is vicinity of Petrisberg, near Trier, Germany. A specific town or village of Petrisberg doesn't come up on my search, so perhaps this has since been absorbed into the city of Trier or is even a suburb of that town. The attached photo gives a good idea of the nearby area in the river valley below, and should allow the exact spot of the FL to be pinpointed. A key bridge and a factory or power plant are good reference points.

2) The several photos of this incident in the EOE Data Base show a light snow cover on the terrain, but I haven't been able to actually ID the specific date of the incident during the winter of 1939-40, nor any information on the crew. An analysis of the source indicates that several photos of this incident were taken by a member of 8./Flak-Rgt.14., which was stationed somewhere near Petrisberg between 16.11.39 and 16.2.40. Perhaps records of that unit would give us a specific date and/or info on the aircraft crew, if anyone has access to them. The aircraft carries the "Felix the Cat" insignia on the forward fuselage, one of the relatively few examples of a 6. Staffel a/c carrying this insignia. It is very likely that this a/c was recovered with very little damage and thus won't appear in the Luft QM records. Dating this incident may help me determine the approximate date that 6 Staffel a/c applied this insignia. I'm also looking for evidence of whether it was applied to all a/c of the unit at the time.

Thanx once again for your assistance.