View Single Post
Old 22nd July 2012, 22:39

veltro is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: A "defecting" Jagdwaffe pilot...?

Thanks everybody. I have a copy of "Senta a Pua" personally signed and dedicated to me by Gen. Rui Moreira Lima, who I had the honour of meeting personally in 1995 when I organized the visit of the veterans of the 350th FG and 1° Grupo de Caça in Tarquinia and Pisa, their former bases.

Due to my incomplete padronance of Portuguese language, I never read it completely and cherished it as a precious gift but, after your posts, I took it and on page 56 I found the paragraph relative to the persons we are mentioning, encountered by Brasilian pilot Theobaldo Kopp while being with the Partisans.

Kaki3152 is right: there were two separated figures (apart from Kopp) in the group, one being a Wehrmacht Captain and the other a Russian pilot.

The former, after having served on the Russian front, was moved to France and then to Italy, where he deserted. The Russian was shot down and baled out in the Eastern front and after having crossed the Balkans, arrived in Italy as a fugitive.

Kopp never gave or knew their names, but they are part of Kopp's memories and cannot have been mistaken or anything else in his account.

It is very intetesting how the account (BTW, Kopp was known as "il partigiano Guglielmo" during his stay...) apparently mixes up with the other story and may also be possible that some details of the latter (the name "Karl Schelling", for instance) may have been created or was the true name of the Wehrmacht Captain. However there are several other instances that does not collime at all (the period involved is one, Kopp having been shot down only on 7 March 1945...).

It is however a base to start checking some coincidences.

Thanks for the input.

Ferdinando D'Amico