View Single Post
Old 11th December 2005, 12:36
Alter Hase

Laurent Rizzotti is on a distinguished road
Re: Friendly fire WWII

An interesting story:

Source : "Journal of combat missions page3.htm" B-17 96th BG
Extrait Mission No. 15 -- Emden, Germany December 11, 1943

On December 11, we made our second raid on the submarine base at Emden, my fifteenth mission, with more than 500 bombers participating. There was a very strong headwind as we left our home base. The group ahead lost three B-17s before we reached the French coast, and lost five more after that. We lost no ships from our group, although one crew was very thankful to be able to make it back home. One of our crews in the high squadron had a malfunctioning bomb rack which delayed release of its bombs. One of its bombs dropped onto the wing of an airplane under it, and stayed there. The pilot flew the plane gingerly enough that he was able to return to base safely with it on his wing. The following day, we were aroused at 12:30 AM for a mission somewhere, but fortunately the mission was scrubbed before we even reached the Operations shack. View related newspaper article

Source: http://www.chez.com/franckruffino/My...Victory_19.htm

Someone also told me yesterday on a forum that the Japanese AA fire at Midway shot down in the morning two US aircraft and one A6M2 Zero, no other details.