View Single Post
Old 4th January 2006, 22:27

drgondog is on a distinguished road
Re: Help on 355FG info

Thanks guys - Unfortunately I have that info.

Robert White from 357FS and the one I was looking for (a/c data) is different from Robert (Bob) White 354FS shot down in February 1945.

Incidently Bob White (354) had exactly one swing of his parachute before hitting the trees from the flak induced low bail out. He later became Vice Commander to Bud Anderson of 355TFW in VietNam flying F-105's and later X-15 Test Pilot before retiring from USAF and taking his Engineering Doctrate from Heidleburg.. Al White of WR-S 44-14228 later became chief test pilot for North American and headof B-70. He alone survived the mid air 'photo op' that destroyed the B-70 and the F-104... and still is key consultant to FAA crash investigations.

Last but not least Ken published the initial data for the 355th that I developed in 1982 to 1992 and it has more than a couple of inaccuracies. I did not include them in my book Angels, Bulldogs and Dragons for that reason.

My current list is the result of another 14 years of research and helped significantly by Peter Randall and Ted Damick via Randall. The current list has 540 entries, mostly complete that contains 1SF (Experimental) 2SF and 354, 357 and 358 P-47s and P-51's that were based at Steeple Morden and supported from 355FG. Also has MARC's and cross reference to sources which include many photos beyond my 1500+.

I also have developed an Honor Roll which details every 355/1SF(Exp) and 2SF ship and pilot lost in WWII, including cause (Mechanical, Weather, Flak, Air Combat)

Ray Shewfelt and I have labored 20+ years to improve 355FG visibility to be among the very best and most complete. About 3% are on armyairforces.com in the 355FG Photo Gallery.

If someone can tell me how to load for public view on this website I will make it (Spreadsheets) available for all to see.

Thank you all for your interest and willingness to assist.

Regards,

Bill Marshall