View Single Post
Old 16th August 2015, 06:58
Alter Hase

Larry Hickey
Re: 13th May 1940 He 111 of 1./KG 4

gogh,

I'm puzzled by your reference to W.Nr.2912 as being 5J+CH. I have 2912 as possibly 5J+D? down in Holland the first days of the Western Campaign. I originally thought that this was 5J+DA down with Gesch Kdr on 10.05.40, but that is now known to be W.Nr.2909.

According to the Revised EoE LW Loss DB:
10 May 1940: Stab KG4 Heinkel He111P-2 (2909). Shot down by Fokker G1 of 3-II-1 (1e Lt Noomen & Korp de Vries) during sortie to Waalhaven and belly-landed in St Annapolder between Rockanje and Hellevoetsluis, south of Zwartedijk, 4.15 a.m. Further attacked by another Fokker G1 (2e Lt Sonderman & Sgt Holwerda) prior to landing. BF Oberfw Ewald Reinhardt Frotscher killed, FF Oberfw Oswald Hlubek captured wounded, BO Oberst Martin Fiebig(Geschwaderkommodore), BO Oberlt Klaus Born, and BM Oberfw Otto Blank captured unhurt – all later released. Aircraft 5J+DA 100% write-off. (Note: we have a number of photos of this a/c and crew)

5J+CH I have in our EoE DB as:
"13 May 1940: 1./KG4 Heinkel He111P-2. Engines damaged by AA fire (11.Bt.LuA) over Kanalen Island during sortie to Rotterdam and belly-landed between Biezendijk and Lagedijk, south-east of IJsselstein, 12.00 p.m. Crew all captured unhurt after brief exchange of fire with local troops. Aircraft 5J+CH 100% write-off." I have five photos of this a/c both before it was shot down, down at the site, and also being salvaged.

I do not have a W.Nr. for 5J+CH nor the names of any of the captured crewmembers. I don't have any He111 W.Nr.'s in the 2100 range during the WC. I would very much like to confirm the information from Bas, as it will clear up some of the remaining issues with that loss. I would also like to confirm the identity of the FL He111 W.Nr.2912.

Who can help?