View Single Post
Old 28th March 2006, 01:36

George Hopp
Re: Me 262 assigned to "Schnellaktion Prof. Gladenback"

There's more on the unit and on that Me 262 -- the one with the tuning fork-like thingie on its nose? -- on pages 397 and 398 of the 4-volume set on the Me 262. (OK, I found Dan's book. It's actually page 198. The same photo and others are on page 397 of the Me 262 book set, with the tuning fork sucker on page 398.)

Quote:
I would like to known a little more about this ,especially about acoustic research (another mythical wonder waffe ?)
You need to remember where the Germans were coming from. They didn't have centimetric radar in any quantity, and they certainly didn't have the proximity fuse package. So, on one side they were using acoustic research in an attempt to create a proximity fuse for their AA; and on the other, with the Me 262, as, I assume, a decimetric radar substitute that couldn't be jammed. According to the narrative with the photos, they were able to get a 750m range on the set, with good DF at 350m, on a/c sounds, so long as the target sounds were on a different frequency spectrum than the fighter's. These ranges they were trying to increase "through evaluation of perfect frequency spectra."

In addition to the Me 262, this unit apparently had 3 Me 163s, 1 He 111, 1 Ju 88, and one high-performance glider of unknown type.