View Single Post
Old 14th January 2016, 16:55
Alter Hase

HGabor has a spectacular aura aboutHGabor has a spectacular aura about
Re: Russians bomb Berlin 13 September 1942

I am afraid this is a very messy story. First of all that "unit" is rather a hand written Cyrillic DB-3F (a plane type), not a unit. "0/9" is I think a Cyrillic F: "ф" there.

By the way, that form is totally different from the ones used by the soviet documents. They used No...... AP DD, or GvAP DD in Cyrillic, of course. If this guy fled to England, I doubt he told the correct information about his unit, base, mission, etc. even to his allies. His name is not listed among the lost long-range aviators either. I did not say that he was downed on Aug.12, 1941. What I am saying is that day/night the soviet long-range 890 AP DD Pe-8s bombed Berlin for sure. I never researched the Berlin raids (not interested), but I think this was not the only one, and definitely not by this regiment alone. But I think the Pe-8s were involved in these raids due to the distance and the carried bomb-load.

See the target lists (=monthly op. record) and the dropped bomb-loads of the 45 AD DD Pe-8 regiments in September, 1942. Marked the September 13, 1942 raids with red. Only Bucharest and Kiev, not Berlin. Berlin in fact was NOT in their menu in the whole month!!!!!!
Cheers,

Gabor

Last edited by HGabor; 7th March 2016 at 18:00.