View Single Post
Old 27th May 2016, 03:46

Broncazonk is on a distinguished road
Re: Erich Hartmann: verifiable claims

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Arthy View Post
Bronc,

[...] Official victory claims were being submitted by units right up to the very end of the war (even when surrounded by the Soviets and down to its literal last drops of petrol in East Prussia in late-April 1945, J.G. 51 was still submitting its aerial victory claims to higher headquarters). See the attached, which are Hartmann's claims for 7 March 1945, sent from his Gruppe to Luftflotte 6, and then further up the chain. The idea that the Luftwaffe ceased documenting its activities in 1945 is an oft-repeated myth. In terms of aerial victories, claims were submitted to the appropriate authorities right to the end. What lagged behind was the official confirmation system, which was always a few months behind. In any case, most of the German victory claims submitted were confirmed.

So all of his 352 victory claims were made, submitted to the Gruppe, and then to the Luftflotte and above (except, I assume, for No. 352). As a result, I believe that his official victory claim tally is 352 (or 351?).

It's an interesting subject, and as Nick noted, knowing how many were actually shot down is more important than what either side claimed to have shot down.

Cheers,
Andrew A.
Thank you Andrew, for adding another piece to this puzzle! Once again, I don't care what the answer is, I just want the right answer. (Or as close to it as we can get.)

My point however is fairness. Perhaps Hartmann submitted 352 claims, but officially he is credited with only (!) 289 or 307 because the war ended before the rest could be confirmed and credited. However, every list in existence states 352 confirmed. On the other hand, if I am not mistaken, Helmut Lipfert submitted 230 claims, but officially he is credited with 203 because the war ended before the rest could be confirmed and credited. And for Lipfert, and every other Luftwaffe pilot, every list in existence states the credited not the claimed. Is this a fair accounting? Why does Hartmann alone receive this preferential treatment?

And to solidly clarify the matter: What was Hartmann's official credited victory total at the end of the war? 289? 307?

Bronc