View Single Post
Old 14th August 2016, 11:53
mroxanas

JU88A4 (L1+CK) wreck located

Hi Everybody,

Psara is a small island in the Aegean. (38°33'N, 25°34E)
When I was visiting it I came across a story from the son of the late mayor of a ditched German plane during WWII. He told me that during one night a German flying officer knocked the door of his house and asked if the island was in British or German hands. When he learned that there was a German garrison at the island's lighthouse (Kokkinopoulo lighthouse on the top of Agios Georgios cape) he stayed at the mayor's house for the night, and next morning he was driven to the German garrison at the lighthouse. According to his tale, when the plane ditched , he and two other flying officers swam towards the island, but they lost contact and he was able to see the dim candle light of the island's church and head towards it until he reached land. The other two
flying officers were never found.

According to this source http://www.ww2.dk/Lw%20Offz%20-%20S-...Apr%202016.pdf the drowned flying officers were:

SAMLAND, ?
. 13.12.43 Lt., 2./LG 1 unknown fate - Ju 88 A-4 (L1+CK) ditched vic Psara due to fuel shortage. (p.10/720)
WINTERFELD, Gert. 13.12.43 Lt., 2./LG 1 unknown fate - Ju 88 A-4 (L1+CK) ditched vic Psara due to fuel shortage. (p. 641/720)

Fishermen at Psara island are well aware of the location of the wreck because of the various plane parts that are being tangled on their fishing nets.

I was wondering if we could find the name of the surviving member of the crew of L1+CK, and if possible its base and appearance at the time of ditching.

According to a post from member leonventer (Leon Vender) II./LG 1 left Greece for Wiener Neustadt /Austria (last week of Sep). How then a plane from II./LG1 ditched in the Aegean at 13.12.1943 ?

Regards,
Manolis Roxanas