View Single Post
Old 18th July 2017, 19:46

Cofian is on a distinguished road
Re: bombing raid 23rd of March 1945

Just communicated directly with Casten on the documents he send. I did not have (at least) the second part of the docs (say the landscape ones). Unfortunately the info is similar as in the mission folder; they addamently try to push through to have bombed Zelhem (the 3 planes with 72 bombs). As I indicated, one of the things I am certain about is that they did NOT bomb Zelhem that afternoon, because it simply was not bombed that day. Zelhem was on the target list though, but then by fighterbombers of the 146 wing. They were actually over the target to that evening, but did not attack because of the haze and the failing light that evening. The 146 wing returned the next morning early to execute the job......

So queston remains: what did the 3 planes bomb with their 72 bombs (12 bombs had hung from one plane, he brought them home again)? There must be a location in (presumably) Germany, possibly The Netherlands that was bombed by 3 planes with a fourth plane passing over as well but not bombing. People (like us) who are historically investigating this attack from their side can not find who done it as well, since there is no record of it. I try to find these guys and by puting the particulars together we might be able to pinpoint where these 72 bombs were dropped.