Thread: Werner Schroer
View Single Post
Old 5th October 2017, 17:40
Alter Hase

Adriano Baumgartner is on a distinguished road
Re: Werner Schroer

Dear Teresa,

One must only guess, from other readings and books, which illness it was....most of those who flew and fought in Afrika did not eat or drink properly, diarrhea was common to both airmen, infantrymen, etc...(at least for some time or once in their period of combat there).
And, you must consider that Europeans are "not too much prepared" to very hot temperatures (to live and bear it too much time...for months, I am saying). You may remember that even Erwin Rommel (the Desert Fox as he was called by the British) was taken back to Europe due to a similar illness...perhaps one will never have the "actual" disease that took Schroer aside (one must have access to Schroer's personall file and Medical File), but one must guess.
I have only had access to one such WW2 RAF flyer personal file, which was sent to me via the Family members...so I was able to have the diseases informed and one idea what they faced, those guys that fought on the Mediterranean Theater....
I can only guess that it was NOT EASY....mentally and phisically either (food, higienic conditions, temperatures high and low on the same journey, hidratation, sun burns, etc.)

Most sincerely yours
Adriano