View Single Post
Old 23rd July 2006, 03:49

Boomerang is on a distinguished road
Re: Friendly fire WWII

Reviewing this thread prompted a hazy memory of reading a newspaper article some 30 years ago about a Luftwaffe attack on German destroyers in the North Sea in early 1940.

Fortunately an excellent account is available online about this incident on 22 February 1940, when He 111 1 H + I M of KG 26 attacked a force of 6 German destroyers in the North Sea - a combination of bombs from the aircraft and possibly German and/or British mines led to the sinking of 2 destroyers and the loss of 578 sailors:

http://www.german-navy.de/kriegsmari.../feature4.html

Quite a 'friendly fire' incident. I did check and couldn't see it listed earlier in the thread - I was a bit surprised, perhaps it is so well known that it is not considered worthy of being mentioned, but it may be a new piece of intelligence to some members of the Discussion Board, hence this post.

Another more contemporary incident - Argentinean A4B Skyhawk shot down by Argentinean 35 mm flak on 22 May 1984 near Goose Green airstrip on East Falkland Island, pilot F Gavazzi killed (The Royal Navy and the Falklands War, David Brown, page 160).

(Note that a 'smiley' seems to have appeared on this post - I did NOT add it, certainly I mean no disrespect about what was obviously a very sad incident: Boomerang)

Cheers

Boomerang